moderated Re: Office 2016 Question

Barbara <batterseye@...>

Hi CathyAnne,

More information.  I failed to mention because I did not think of it that I had made several changes to MS Word in the menus.  One of those changes allows me to continue to use the control-o to open and get the familiar open dialogue.

Nonetheless I did now try to use the control-f12 to get the same dialogue.  I am not hearing the number of files/folders using this either.  I guess maybe the few changes I made may of caused this.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of CathyAnne Murtha
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 3:47 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Office 2016 Question

Hi Again Barbara,

When you press CTRL-O in Microsoft Word, you enter Backstage View.  This is a custom interface of Microsoft Office 2016 and isn’t the Open File dialog to which you’ve become accustomed.

To open the “Open File” dialog of Windows, press CTRL-F12.  Once you open the dialog, press SHIFT-TAB until focus is in the list view.  Once in the list view, JAWS announces the number of items in the focused folder.

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 300-7859

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barbara
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:16 PM
To: main@...

Hello CathyAnne,

This worked great!  I assume there is some similar keystroke for MS Word.  If I press control-o to get a list of files, I would like to know the number of files in the focused folder.  I have just spent a lot of time trying to find an answer both on the web and in the JAWS help.  I have struck out.  I have two imputers, one has Office 2013 and the other has Office 2016.  Can you help?  I am not clear if I need to use a different JAWS hotkey (JAWS 2018) or I need to change options in the status line of Office.

Thanks.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of CathyAnne Murtha
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 4:35 PM

You can control what’s displayed in the Outlook 2016 Status bar.

1. Focus in the message list

2. Press F6 until focus is on “Status Bar”

3. Press the WINDOWS APPPLICATION KEY or SHIFT-F10 to open the configuration menu

4. Navigate the menu and toggle the options on and off as needed

5. Tap ESCAPE to close the menu

The changes take place immediately.

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 300-7859

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:19 PM
Subject: Office 2016 Question

Hello Everyone,

I have Office 2016.  I am using Outlook.  I did a number of modifications to make Outlook more friendly like getting rid of the preview pane and so on.  I have been using Outlook 2013 in the past.  I could use a JAWS hotkey of insert-pagedown to hear the number of messages in the outlook folder while I am in that Outlook folder.  When I tried the same hotkey in Outlook 2016, I got other information, but not the number of messages in the Outlook folder.  I know I can find the number of messages in the Outlook folder list when using control-y, but that seems a lot of steps when I wish just to check this information.  Is there an Outlook 2016 hotkey or other way to hear the number of messages?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barbara

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.