From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 1:26 PM
To: JFW list (main@jfw.groups.io) <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Question about caps lock

I have noticed with both of my installations of JAWS 2018 (one on Windows 7 and one on Win 10) that JAWS does not announce the status of Caps lock on and off as I press the button.  This became particularly problematic earlier today when I was at the Window 7 login screen after having left my computer for a while and my first entry of my password got an error.  I figured caps lock was on, so press the button to remove caps lock, but my password was still incorrect.  I have no idea if caps lock was on or off and ended up locking myself out after several failed attempts of pressing caps lock.  Because I did not know how to figure out if caps lock was on and was afraid the tech support guy was going to have me typing a new password in, I did a hard shutdown hoping to clear it.  As it turned out, I still had Window Eyes set to load at start up, so I was able to get unlocked and logged back in with the ability to check caps lock status.

Why does JAWS not tell the Caps lock status and is there a way to get it to do this?  Window Eyes does it fine.  By extension, I’ve even surprised in say, MS Word, that JAWS does not correctly identify what is happening with commands such as Control B, Control S, etc.  With Window Eyes, it says “Bold on” and “Bold off” or “saving document”.  I really am trying to make the switch to JAWS, but things like this are making me anxious.

Robin

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114