moderated Re: Question about caps lock

Michal Nowicki

Robin,

Are you using the desktop or laptop keyboard layout? If you are using the laptop layout, you must press the caps lock twice quickly to toggle it on and off, because the caps lock key is used as the JAWS modifier key.

Best,

Michal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2018 1:26 PM
To: JFW list (main@jfw.groups.io) <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Question about caps lock

I have noticed with both of my installations of JAWS 2018 (one on Windows 7 and one on Win 10) that JAWS does not announce the status of Caps lock on and off as I press the button.  This became particularly problematic earlier today when I was at the Window 7 login screen after having left my computer for a while and my first entry of my password got an error.  I figured caps lock was on, so press the button to remove caps lock, but my password was still incorrect.  I have no idea if caps lock was on or off and ended up locking myself out after several failed attempts of pressing caps lock.  Because I did not know how to figure out if caps lock was on and was afraid the tech support guy was going to have me typing a new password in, I did a hard shutdown hoping to clear it.  As it turned out, I still had Window Eyes set to load at start up, so I was able to get unlocked and logged back in with the ability to check caps lock status.

Why does JAWS not tell the Caps lock status and is there a way to get it to do this?  Window Eyes does it fine.  By extension, I’ve even surprised in say, MS Word, that JAWS does not correctly identify what is happening with commands such as Control B, Control S, etc.  With Window Eyes, it says “Bold on” and “Bold off” or “saving document”.  I really am trying to make the switch to JAWS, but things like this are making me anxious.

Robin

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.