From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 12:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: help required for remembering passwords

Hi Thanks so much for all the suggestions, and i never thought i'd cause as much of a stir!

I don't want anyone to think i'm ungrateful, i have taken a note of the ones i can remember on to my olympus.

Val.

On 31/03/2018 19:58, Steve Matzura wrote:
Here's another idea for making up individual passwords in case you
aren't comfortable with the password-generation portion of a password
manager. I call it using a password formula. Think of a root, either
a favorite word or character combination--let's say for the sake of an
example, today's date, March 31. Now let's add to that string at
least one punctuation symbol. For example's sake, let's use the left
square bracket symbol, '['. Now we have a string that looks like this:

March31[

Now, let's think about the service we want to log onto. For example's
sake, let's say it a grocery delivery service, like one we have here
in New York called Fresh Direct. Let's generate a four-character code
out of the two words "Fresh Direct" by taking the first two vowels, e
and i, and the first two consonants, f and r. Now our string looks like:

March31[eifr

Do this for every site you want to log onto. Of course, these
passwords will be stored in your password manager, but a good and
valid reason to use a password formula is that if you ever need that
password and you're not using a computer that uses the password
manager you normally use and it doesn't have your password store, you
can still log on to that Website by remembering the formula you used
when you made up the password. So now you're protected twice. Once by
the password manager's master unlock password, and once by remembering
the formula you used to create the passwords so if something happens
to your password vault, or you're out somewhere and you need to get
in to a password-protected site, you're covered.

On 3/31/2018 1:01 PM, Cristóbal wrote:
Well, it would in theory be easier to remember one master password
rather than trying to keep track of X number of passwords and what
account they correspond to.