moderated Re: help required for remembering passwords

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

If you are not using a password manager then the safest option for us blind folks would probably be a list of passwords with their corresponding user names and websites or purposes in braille and having said braille volume mixed in with some other braille stuff. Of course you would also not want to publically announce where you keep it like all of those people who have explained how they keep their passwords probably in clear text like a Notepad file on an external drive or USB stick. Of course it does greatly limit the risk because as was said, somebody would actually have to know where you live, break in and steal said drive but if I have to plug in my drive each time I am looking for a password that to me is pretty inconvenient. If you leave the drive plugged in then a good hacker could probably gain access to it as easily or easier than hacking the servers of Lastpass, OnePassword or Roboform. The ladder has been my password manager of choice and I'm surprised that it never comes up in the discussions about password managers.

Regards,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of paul lemm
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 9:28 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: help required for remembering passwords

Hi,

Another thing I would quickly add on this subject, any IT security person will tell you that storing all your passwords in one file be it on your hard drive or a separate thumb drive is probably the least safe option, since if a hacker wants this information its fairly easy to get and its all in one place with absolutely no security , if you store it on an external hard drive/flash drive and worst case situation you get burgled potentially if they steal your external drive or whatever your password is on, again you've given them everything in one neat little file that they don't even need a password to access.

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: 31 March 2018 16:27

Steve:

Perhaps I'm old and not as informed as I should be, but my problem with these password manager programs is that if someone somehow gets your credentials, they will suddenly have access to all of your passwords.

If I'm in error about this, please let me know.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:12 AM

KeePass, LastPass, and my particular favorite, 1Password.

On 3/31/2018 10:34 AM, Val Paul wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Recently i've found that i've become terrible at remembering passwords
for different things and sites, does anyone have any suggestions?

Val.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.