Re: Any good Hex Editors?

paul lemm

Hi,

Ah, in which case I’m not sure how to fix it, since Audacity is what I would have used myself to try and import and then export with, you mentioned you’ve tried importing it as raw data, I don’t know too much about this, but if you try and play it in raw data format in audacity it won’t work  if its corrupt, you would then need to go to export  as audio and then save it somewhere making sure in the save as window you have selected file type as WAV. Then find the file you’ve just saved and see if that plays correctly. Unfortunately other than that I’m not too sure of anything else I can suggest to help,,  sorry. Hope you manage to get it all sorted though.

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: 18 February 2018 00:57
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?

I've tried importing the .wav file into an audio editor like Audacity as "Raw Data", but all I get is static noise, instead of the original audio.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: Any good Hex Editors?

In some quick searching, both UltraEdit and NotePad++ are both mentioned as having hex editor plugins.

There also was a freeware hex editor mentioned called HXD.

How accessible any of these are, I have no idea.

HTH,

Richard

“The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter.” 

- Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1

On Feb 17, 2018, at 2:16 PM, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi,

Although I don’t know any good hex editors, in fact for that matter I’m not sure I even know what one is lol. But as an alternative  solution , you could try converting the broken wav file to a different file format, which makes a new version of the sound and may fix the broken attributes too, , then you can just re convert the file back to WAV. There are plenty of online sites that will convert WAV to another format. I do a little programing to write audio games, , and every now and again I’ll come across a wav file that won’t play, in which case I just add the wav file to my music editor software , then export it back out as a WAV file, which is doing the same as I mentioned above , but just using the program I have, but that’s always worked in the past. I’ve put the link for two  websites below, one which converts files from WAV to mp3, and then another which converts mp3 files to WAV. Hopefully this fixes your issue, but if you have any problems, if it’s just one WAV file that’s broken if you can find a way of sending me the WAV file I can always try running it through my music  editing software and seeing if that fixes it for you. Anyways, the links are below

Convert to MP3

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3

Convert to WAV

https://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: 17 February 2018 02:56
Subject: Any good Hex Editors?

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I found something interesting on the Internet, about how to fix broken .wav files that won't open in any players. Someone named Scott Hanselman said something about using a binary file editor, specifically a Hex editor, to fix the headers. However, I'm not sure where I can find any good Hex editors that would work with JAWS. Anybody have any pointers? I've tried Notepad++, but all I get when I read the file line-by-line is a bunch of weird code.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.