Re: Is it possible to have braille input but no output except Jaws Speech?

John Gurd

Exactly so, Steve. There are times when I want to control my PC with the Braille display but only use speech when listening to fiction or long articles on the web. This would be particularly useful on the ElBraille where there is no querty option. Jason suggests just ignore the Braille output which continues to regularly refresh unread. Besides being slightly distracting, the cost of replacing worn-out refreshable Braille cells is very high. I suspect they would last a lot longer if we could suppress this part of the display when it’s not actually being used.

John

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: 23 January 2018 14:48
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have braille input but no output except Jaws Speech?

I think you all have it backwards. The layer command turns off speech, which is not what is wanted. Using a braille-style keyboard on a QWERTY device is also not what's wanted. What *is* wanted is just the reverse. Keep the speech, suppress the braille output, input from the braille device (or obviously the QWERTY keyboard).

On 1/22/2018 12:58 PM, mike mcglashon wrote:

isn’t there also a braille keyboard input command on John’s so that one can actually use the Home roll like a braille keyboard as input or no?

contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@...

On Jan 22, 2018, at 12:27 PM, GV-Knope, John (Greenville) <johkno3041@...> wrote:

Use the layer-command insert-space followed by s to disable speech.

John F Knope

Student, CIS – Cloud Computing

ECPI University

508 Mapleton Drive