From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2018 3:59 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Braille Displays and Multiple Languages/Character Sets

All commercially available braille displays that I’m aware of can present text in any language supported by the screen reader. The braille display doesn’t handle the different braille codes; the screen reader does so, then sends a dot pattern to the display. Likewise, the input keys on the braille display are read, and interpreted, by the screen reader itself. The braille display is language-independent in so far as its interactions with the screen reader are concerned.

Thus, choosing a braille display is independent of which languages are to be used.

Assuming that the user in question plans to use JAWS (and you’re asking on a JAWS list, after all), then the next question is whether JAWS offers translation tables for the desired languages. To find out, look in the translation table settings.

If different character sets are to be used, it may be necessary to switch between two different translation tables. JAWS appears to support this; on the Focus 40 Blue display that I’m using here, it’s assigned to dots 2-3-4-5-7 chord. I haven’t experimented with the feature, however.

As to keyboard layout, you can configure this in the operating system, so you shouldn’t need to obtain a new or different physical keyboard, unless there’s a specific reason for preferring a physical keyboard that has slightly different keys on it (for a different language/country).