Re: Very Strange Issue with JFW and Panasonic ToughPad

Dave Durber

Hello Alex:

I have an HP Desktop Pavilion Laptop, which I like very much.

It looks like you have a similar problem to me.

In my case, I cannot use the JAWS Desktop Keyboard Layout, to perform the JAWS shifted functions using the INSERT key on the number pad, although, I can use the number pad to perform the unshifted functions.

For this reason, I now use the JAWS Laptop Keyboard layout, no matter what computer i am using.

I called HP to ask them if I could remap the NUM PAD INSERT key to make it work as I wanted, and the answer was that it could not, because, for some reason, only known to HP, they assigned their own mapping code for that particular key, which is why JAWS cannot use that key. unfortunately, I am sorry to say, It looks like you are in the same boat.

You could call the computer manufacturer's Tech Support Line and ask them if they have a solution to your problem.

Good luck with that one though.

Out of interest, using the JAWS Laptop Keyboard layout, do JAWS functions which use the CAPS LOCK+SHIFT key, work at all, E.G.,
CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+J, which reads the text from the beginning of the line up to the position of the active cursor and CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+L, which reads the text from the active cursor to the end of the current line.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber