Re: Very Strange Issue with JFW and Panasonic ToughPad

Dave Durber

Hello Alex:

I have an HP Desktop Pavilion Laptop, which I like very much.

It looks like you have a similar problem to me.

In my case, I cannot use the JAWS Desktop Keyboard Layout, to perform the JAWS shifted functions using the INSERT key on the number pad, although, I can use the number pad to perform the unshifted functions.

For this reason, I now use the JAWS Laptop Keyboard layout, no matter what computer i am using.

I called HP to ask them if I could remap the NUM PAD INSERT key to make it work as I wanted, and the answer was that it could not, because, for some reason, only known to HP, they assigned their own mapping code for that particular key, which is why JAWS cannot use that key. unfortunately, I am sorry to say, It looks like you are in the same boat.

You could call the computer manufacturer's Tech Support Line and ask them if they have a solution to your problem.

Good luck with that one though.

Out of interest, using the JAWS Laptop Keyboard layout, do JAWS functions which use the CAPS LOCK+SHIFT key, work at all, E.G.,
CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+J, which reads the text from the beginning of the line up to the position of the active cursor and CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+L, which reads the text from the active cursor to the end of the current line.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2017 8:17 PM
Subject: Very Strange Issue with JFW and Panasonic ToughPad

Good afternoon all.

Our department just purchased a large number of Panasonic Toughpad FZ-Q2 laptops.

These are the units that consist of a stand-alone tablet that mounts to a keyboard assembly, so that you can use it as a traditional laptop, or as a touch-screen tablet.

I installed JAWS 18 (and subsequently JAWS 2018) on my FZ-Q2, and set the keyboard layout to Laptop mode, as would be expected.

However, the CAPSLOCK key does not work as the JAWS modifier key.

I.e. I can press CAPSLOCK and the letter T to read the window title, but all I get is the system default beep. Same results with any commands that require the use of the “JAWS Key”.

I have set the JAWS key function to the Scroll Lock key in Settings Center, and even tried remapping CapsLock to another key (using a key mapping utility), but I get the same results.

Additionally, when I attach a standard full-size USB keyboard to the FZ-Q2, everything works as it should, including the CAPSLOCK as the JAWS key.

I did install JAWS on a few other Q2 units, just to see if it may just be an issue with my specific machine, but again, I received the same results on those as well.

I did contact the support department at VFO Group, but they just didn’t have a clue.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with JAWS and this particular laptop model (or any other model), or would you have any ideas on what would be causing this phenomenon and how I might go about getting it resolved?

Thanks for any insight or feedback you can provide.

Alex Coleman

Technical Systems Analyst 2

Energy Delivery GIS

Gainesville Regional Utilities

PO Box 147117, Station E2-C

4747 N Main St., Gainesville, FL  32614-7117

ColemanAA@...

(352) 393-1507

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.