Re: best way to regain speech if JAWS is silent?

Van Lant, Robin

I'll give these all a try. In the case earlier tonight, I don't think there was an error. My Windows 10 laptop had gone to the locked screen and when I tried to log back in, I couldn't get JAWS to speak. Even after I got logged back in, speech did not return. I have since upgraded to JAWS 2018, so maybe this will fix whatever bug I was encountering.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: best way to regain speech if JAWS is silent?

Just starting Jaws may not be the solution if Jaws has crashed and is displaying some error message. For the most part if you wait long enough Jaws restarts by itself and by "long enough" I mean at least 30 or 40 seconds. After that you can try Jaws Key+Alt+F4, this unloads and reloads Jaws. If that doesn't work you can definitely try to simply launch Jaws either using the Run command as described, Windows+R then type Jaws18 or Jaws2018 and press enter or you can of course set a shortcut key combination like Control+Alt+J.