Re: Trouble with entering addresses in outlook 2016

Bonnie Vegiard

That’s my problem. It used to work that way, where I could arrow down and get the different suggestions. Now that doesn’t happen at all. It just picks the email that it wants for me, and then it picks another one when I type the next letter. It happens so fast that I have no time to change anything.

On Nov 27, 2017, at 11:47 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

This has always been this way except that for a while the auto-complete function was broken and Jaws didn't read the suggestions which popped up as you type.
Personally I find this extremely convenient because for the most part I just have to type the first few letters of an email and the rest is automatically filled or I can type a few letters and then down arrow to find the one I want.
But, if I have an email which starts with "john" and I have 5 emails in my auto complete which start with John then I just keep typing and ignore the suggestions and as soon as you type the first letter that is different than all the addresses your auto-complete remembers it will stop.
What version of Jaws are you using? In 2018 the behaviour has changed a bit in that it now only reads the first suggestion when you type 2 or 3 letters, after that it stops and you have to actually down arrow to hear the rest.
Of course if you really hate this you can turn this off by going to File > Options, then go to the "Mail" tab/category (most likely you have to down arrow once) and now you have to either tab I think 36 times or back tab (shift+tab) 23 times to get to the following item:

Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines check box checked
ALT+g

Press the spacebar to uncheck this and, for good measure, tab once more to the buttonv "Empty Auto Complete List" and press the spacebar to activate it which will clear out your list of auto complete suggestions.
OK, now that I told you how to do it the long way (it's a good idea to tab through all these options to see what's there), here is the easy way which means the keyboard shortcut:
Alt+F followed by T opens Options.
Find the Mail tab/category by using down arrow (or up arrow), it's the second from the top after "General".
Press Alt+G and this will uncheck the " Use Auto-Complete List to suggest names when typing in the To, Cc, and Bcc lines" check box.
Now tab once more to the "Empty 'Auto Complete List" and activate it, then don't forget to tab about 22 times to "OK" and activate it, if you don't the setting won't stick.

Regards,
Sieghard