Re: Excel 2016 as part of Office 365 issues

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Sieghard,

Thanks for your response. Well, I completely uninstalled Office 365
from my machine, and then re-installed it from the Microsoft Office
365 website. I chose the 64 bit version, as that's what my co-worker
was running. So, instead of the 1710 Monthly Channel, I am back to
running the 1705 Deferred Channel. I am now able to navigate a
spreadsheet with no problems, however, I am now back to having the
same issue you are having with Excel crashing when typing a formula
into a cell. This is the issue I was experiencing that caused me to
install the 1710 32 bit version, which is when I began experiencing
not being able to navigate at all in a spreadsheet. So, back to where
I started from. I, like you, now type a formula without the = (equals)
sign, and then press CTRL + F2 to edit the cell and add the = sign in
front of the formula. A bit of a pain, but at least I'm able to use
Excel once again.

BTW: Excel also crashes when typing a formula into a cell while
running NVDA, so this issue isn't strictly a Jaws issue. It is,
however, a screen reader issue as my co-worker can type a formula into
a cell with no crashing with all screen readers turned off.

Hope this issue is resolved soon.

Good luck.

Russell

Hello Russell,

I use Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit via the Office 365 Business Premium
plan.
I had major issues with Excel back at the end of August, but even then Jaws
18 would read everything, but as soon as I tried to type anything into a
cell Excel would crash completely.
I then got on the Jaws 2018 private beta program hoping Jaws 2018 would
solve the issue, but it didn't. A week or 10 days later there was an Office
update and that fixed the issue.
Now I have still one problem which happens with Windows 7 but not with my
Windows 10 laptop. I can type into a cell, but if I start a formula with an
equals sign Excel crashes. The work-around is to type the formula without
the equals sign, for example, sum(a1:a10) and press enter. This just puts
the text into the cell, if I then go back and edit with F2 I can put the
equals sign in front of the "sum" and press tab or enter and it works.
This happens both with Jaws 18 and Jaws 2018, I am also on the Office
Insiders monthly channel by the way.
I have, however, absolutely 0 issues moving around in any worksheet. I
assume it is some peculiarity with your system since I have not heard others
having these issues. I use Excel on 3 different Windows 7 PC's at my store
as well as on 2 Windows 10 laptops.

Regards,
Sieghard