Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration and opportunity for people who are blind or visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Johnson, Joanne
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:42 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Creating accessible, fillable PDFs?

Hi Everyone,

I am having a lot of trouble making this fillable PDF accessible. (Both attached and at this link: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/oni/article/661427 )

Three JAWS users have said it’s not screen reader accessible. Specifically, that JAWS just says “document processing” and does not read the text.   

I’ve added tooltips to the form fields, tagged the text, and adjusted the reading
  order. The “Read Out Loud” feature in adobe reads everything correctly. I’ve done a lot of research online, including using several guides to create accessible, fillable PDF forms and I’m still stuck.

But when I run the accessibility checker, it does show *something *is off. it asks me to “caption” an “image” and it’s referring to all of page one!

I’m wondering if I tagged something incorrectly or the file size is somehow beyond the capacity of JAWs (which seems unlikely).   

Do you have any ideas about what went wrong or how to make it right?

Also, we are hoping to find a company who can create accessible documents and forms so that we know they are accessible the first time, every time. Does anyone have any suggestions for companies that do good work?

We would especially love to use an organization that prioritizes the lived experience of people who need/use assistive technology and one located in or near Portland, Oregon. But we’re open to any suggestions.

Thanks for anything you can offer. I really appreciate your expertise and skill.

Joanne

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com 
and 
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 
'spam@...'

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.