Re: Kelly, Re: need recommendation for new PC

My Asus Zenbook is 1 year old and has an I7 processor, 16 Gb of RAM and a very fast 512 Gb SSD. But if I try to open a 200 page PDF it still takes time, not even close to an hour, but it can take a couple of minutes.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Kelly, Re: need recommendation for new PC

Yes, I have had to open some of those large books before and came back an hour later to find it was still not finished loading. Maybe I will do that again on this PC so I can make a comparrison.

Carol
On 11/27/2017 10:05 PM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
You are welcome. It seems like a lot of money when you could easily
buy a $400 computer. You will be happy you bought this one when you
want to open the 700 page Joy of Cooking in QRead to look up a recipe
and the book pops up in a second rather than taking half a minute to
load. PDF’s also open blazingly fast on these high performance
machines. Similarly, k1000 finishes OCR recognition before the
scanning camera on my flatbed scanner returns to the starting
position. Unlike sighted people, our screen readers run on top of
everything and that brings down performance slightly. With an
extremely fast processor with loads of memory, this drag on
performance is not noticeable on most tasks. It has been four years
since I bought my computer with the fastest processor at the time. I
have no interest in another machine because it still serves my needs
very well.

Kelly

On 11/27/17, Carol Smith via Groups.Io <carollablady=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Kelly,

Yes, I did put importance where I felt it was needed. I got the
newest
i7 available and lots of other features like 16 gb RAM, an SSD drive
and a processor that will reach a speed of about 4.6. I know this is
probably more computer than I might need now, but as time goes on, I
am sure I will appreciate the extras I thought over now. Thank your
for your suggestions, also.

Carol

On 11/24/2017 10:54 AM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
I have found that blind people fail to put a high importance on
processor choice. This is particularly so when multiple programs
are open with multiple windows of each program and you are also
doing processor intensive tasks, such as OCR conversion or
converting files from one format to another. It is important to buy
an i7 processor of the most recent Intel chip generation. Intel has
a special process known as hyper threading that allows a chip to
process quickly multiple tasks at the same time. You will not be
disappointed with the performance of these machines. Computer makers
often include loads of memory in the high performance machines.

You do not need a solid state drive but you might want one. Windows
and programs load very quickly and the responsiveness is incredible.
I specifically have one on my computer along with a regular terabyte
hard disc drive for keeping data files, such as my ripped music files.
All of the black Friday deals on computers are typically for
mid-range machines and I have never seen a high performance PC go on
deep discount after Thanksgiving. I bought my Dell computer on
Christmas Eve as a closeout. The store had two left, both display
models. The computer retailed for $1,800 and I paid $1,200 before
Chicago’s outrageously high sales tax was applied. High performance
computers are not cheap bargains. Few people are willing to pay for
the performance and computer companies have the pricing power in
this relatively small market.

Kelly

On 11/24/17, Tony <tony@k5twz.com> wrote:
My old Win 7 machine is a dual core I3 with a max of 8gb and a
number of hard drives. It runs Office 2010. I do internet, OCR,
editing, and file manipulations on it. I frequently have 20 or
more windows open at a time.
I have installed a fast SSd for the boot drive and a second,
smaller one for a paging file.

I am able to do a lot of work on it but with 8GB ram, it gets both
CPU and memory bound and runs very slowly at times, sometimes
crashing.

My new win 10 system has a quad core Xeon with 32GB ram, 1TB SSD
and a number of hard drives. I got an inexpensive copy of Office
2016 from one of the blind vendors and the machine flys. The quad
cores only help if I have a number of CPU intensive programs
running or am running a program that can utilize multiple cores. I
have a couple of programs that won't run on win 10, which has
slowed my learning of the newer system a bit but I will eventually
use it for most everything.

My last several machines have been Dell. I know you can get more
machine for the buck elsewhere but I have been very happy with
their service.
My
new machine had a problem with the default sound device being
switched without notice and disappearing completely at times. A
Dell tech spent several days tracking down the intermittent
problem. It turned out to be an incorrect driver being loaded,
problems with their automatic driver updating, and finally a new
motherboard and audio riser were installed.
While waiting on diagnostics to run she help me find some software
I had been looking for and advised me about improving system
performance. The process took a couple of months and I had the
same tech for the duration.
It was great.
If you don't run several programs at once or do a lot of heavy
computing a dual core I5 should last you a number of years. 8TB
will probably do but might not be enough in the future. A SSD boot
drive is a must. The boot time on my win 7 machine was cut by 2/3
by adding one and programs are more responsive. A 128 or 256GB
drive should do if you keep most of your data on another drive.
My 240GB SSD is less than half full. The machine seems to freeze
at times when I run low on memory. It can take more than 4 seconds
to swap a GB of memory to the SSD and replace it. A hard drive can
take much longer. When this happens I know it is time to shut down
some windows that haven't been used for days or programs that I
know have memory leaks. I rarely reboot the win 10 machine and the
win 7 machine once or twice a week when it really get slow.

Tony