Re: Kelly, Re: need recommendation for new PC

Carol Smith

Yes, I have had to open some of those large books before and came back an hour later to find it was still not finished loading. Maybe I will do that again on this PC so I can make a comparrison.

Carol

On 11/27/2017 10:05 PM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
You are welcome. It seems like a lot of money when you could easily
buy a $400 computer. You will be happy you bought this one when you
want to open the 700 page Joy of Cooking in QRead to look up a recipe
and the book pops up in a second rather than taking half a minute to
load. PDF’s also open blazingly fast on these high performance
machines. Similarly, k1000 finishes OCR recognition before the
scanning camera on my flatbed scanner returns to the starting
position. Unlike sighted people, our screen readers run on top of
everything and that brings down performance slightly. With an
extremely fast processor with loads of memory, this drag on
performance is not noticeable on most tasks. It has been four years
since I bought my computer with the fastest processor at the time. I
have no interest in another machine because it still serves my needs
very well.

Kelly

On 11/27/17, Carol Smith via Groups.Io <carollablady=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Kelly,

Yes, I did put importance where I felt it was needed. I got the newest
i7 available and lots of other features like 16 gb RAM, an SSD drive and
a processor that will reach a speed of about 4.6. I know this is
probably more computer than I might need now, but as time goes on, I am
sure I will appreciate the extras I thought over now. Thank your for
your suggestions, also.

Carol

On 11/24/2017 10:54 AM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
I have found that blind people fail to put a high importance on
processor choice. This is particularly so when multiple programs are
open with multiple windows of each program and you are also doing
processor intensive tasks, such as OCR conversion or converting files
from one format to another. It is important to buy an i7 processor of
the most recent Intel chip generation. Intel has a special process
known as hyper threading that allows a chip to process quickly
multiple tasks at the same time. You will not be disappointed with the
performance of these machines. Computer makers often include loads of
memory in the high performance machines.

You do not need a solid state drive but you might want one. Windows
and programs load very quickly and the responsiveness is incredible.
I specifically have one on my computer along with a regular terabyte
hard disc drive for keeping data files, such as my ripped music files.
All of the black Friday deals on computers are typically for mid-range
machines and I have never seen a high performance PC go on deep
discount after Thanksgiving. I bought my Dell computer on Christmas
Eve as a closeout. The store had two left, both display models. The
computer retailed for $1,800 and I paid $1,200 before Chicago’s
outrageously high sales tax was applied. High performance computers
are not cheap bargains. Few people are willing to pay for the
performance and computer companies have the pricing power in this
relatively small market.

Kelly

On 11/24/17, Tony <tony@k5twz.com> wrote:
My old Win 7 machine is a dual core I3 with a max of 8gb and a number of
hard drives. It runs Office 2010. I do internet, OCR, editing, and
file
manipulations on it. I frequently have 20 or more windows open at a
time.
I have installed a fast SSd for the boot drive and a second, smaller one
for
a paging file.

I am able to do a lot of work on it but with 8GB ram, it gets both CPU
and
memory bound and runs very slowly at times, sometimes crashing.

My new win 10 system has a quad core Xeon with 32GB ram, 1TB SSD and a
number of hard drives. I got an inexpensive copy of Office 2016 from one
of
the blind vendors and the machine flys. The quad cores only help if I
have
a number of CPU intensive programs running or am running a program that
can
utilize multiple cores. I have a couple of programs that won't run on
win
10, which has slowed my learning of the newer system a bit but I will
eventually use it for most everything.

My last several machines have been Dell. I know you can get more
machine
for the buck elsewhere but I have been very happy with their service.
My
new machine had a problem with the default sound device being switched
without notice and disappearing completely at times. A Dell tech spent
several days tracking down the intermittent problem. It turned out to be
an
incorrect driver being loaded, problems with their automatic driver
updating, and finally a new motherboard and audio riser were installed.
While waiting on diagnostics to run she help me find some software I had
been looking for and advised me about improving system performance. The
process took a couple of months and I had the same tech for the
duration.
It was great.
If you don't run several programs at once or do a lot of heavy computing
dual core I5 should last you a number of years. 8TB will probably do
but
might not be enough in the future. A SSD boot drive is a must. The
boot
time on my win 7 machine was cut by 2/3 by adding one and programs are
more
responsive. A 128 or 256GB drive should do if you keep most of your
data
on another drive. My 240GB SSD is less than half full. The machine
seems
to freeze at times when I run low on memory. It can take more than 4
seconds to swap a GB of memory to the SSD and replace it. A hard drive
can
take much longer. When this happens I know it is time to shut down some
windows that haven't been used for days or programs that I know have
memory
leaks. I rarely reboot the win 10 machine and the win 7 machine once or
twice a week when it really get slow.

Tony