Re: Excel 2016 as part of Office 365 issues

Cristóbal

How about punching in the ascii code for the = sign (alt+61)?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 2:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Excel 2016 as part of Office 365 issues

Good thought and one I tried, but even after I type "sum" and then delete it by backspacing, Excel still crashes as soon as I type the equals sign.
Maybe, but it still crashes unless I put that equals sign in last.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:27 PM

Sieghard, regarding your issue, couldn't you just press a letter first, press backspace, type an equal sign followed by the formula, and press enter? I'd imagine this way is less tedious, no?

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Monday, Nov 27, 2017 2:14 PM EST
Subject: Excel 2016 as part of Office 365 issues

Hello Russell,

I use Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit via the Office 365 Business Premium plan.
I had major issues with Excel back at the end of August, but even then Jaws 18 would read everything, but as soon as I tried to type anything into a cell Excel would crash completely.
I then got on the Jaws 2018 private beta program hoping Jaws 2018 would solve the issue, but it didn't. A week or 10 days later there was an Office update and that fixed the issue.
Now I have still one problem which happens with Windows 7 but not with my Windows 10 laptop. I can type into a cell, but if I start a formula with an equals sign Excel crashes. The work-around is to type the formula without the equals sign, for example, sum(a1:a10) and press enter. This just puts the text into the cell, if I then go back and edit with F2 I can put the equals sign in front of the "sum" and press tab or enter and it works.
This happens both with Jaws 18 and Jaws 2018, I am also on the Office Insiders monthly channel by the way.
I have, however, absolutely 0 issues moving around in any worksheet. I assume it is some peculiarity with your system since I have not heard others having these issues. I use Excel on 3 different Windows 7 PC's at my store as well as on 2 Windows 10 laptops.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Owais Patel
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 10:50 AM

Will this happen with Excel 2016 in Windows 10.
Sincerely,
Owais

On Nov 27, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Russell Solowoniuk <rsolowoniuk@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with Excel 2016 and Jaws 2018 and earlier versions too. We switched to Office 365 here at work last June, and all worked fine, but now, Jaws isn't able to track in Excel 2016. If I open a blank spreadsheet, Jaws will say "Book 1, Sheet 1, A1". If I press the right arrow key, Jaws will sometimes say "B1" as it ought to, but after that, Jaws is silent when pressing any arrow key.
Nothing at all is read by Jaws. If I press the alt key twice to bring up the ribbon and then close it, Jaws might then read the contents of the cell I am in, but will go silent again after that.

I am running the 1710 build of Office 365, and our channel is "Monthly". I'm hoping the next update to Office 365 will fix this issue, but I have no reason to think that it will.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise on a Lenovo Desktop machine here at work.

I called VFO tech support, and at that time I was running the 1703 build of Office 365 with the "deferred" channel. I was told that updating to the 1709 or 1710 builds of Office 365 would fix the issue, but it hasn't.

I called the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk, and their solution was to run a Jaws repair, but I've completely uninstalled Jaws and re-installed, so I don't think running a repair will help, and, when I try to run a repair on Jaws 2018, the repair gets to 4% and then stalls there and finally fails.

Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated! This is so frustrating.

Oh, and, of course, NVDA does work well with Excel 2016 with none of these issues. I would switch to NVDA permanently except that NVDA crashes our proprietary database that I use on a daily basis.

Thanks all.

Russell

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.