Re: decision made Re: need recommendation for new PC

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi Sieghard,

Are Dropbox and OneDrive equal in terms of accessibility, usability, and features? Thanks, Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 9:08 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: decision made Re: need recommendation for new PC

Hi Carol,

Two things: the Windows Pro upgrade was unnecessary, makes not much sense unless you need to connect to domains. Second, I hope you got Office 365 which is the subscription based service. If you need it just for yourself it is I think $59.95 in the States and you just pay this every year and in turn you are always entitled to the latest Office downloads and as a bonus you get 1 Tb of OneDrive storage and 60 minutes of Skype calling to regular phone lines a month. The Skype calling may not be something you use, but if you bought 1 Tb of cloud storage from Dropbox it would cost you a lot more than the entire Office subscription.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:38 PM

Hi,

I am getting used to Chrome. It crashes, but I have reached the point of saying it is more my PC than the program.

My new PC is ordered. It will have a 256 g SSD and a 2 t HDD. I have gone overboard and purchased a PC with everything but the kitchen sink, grin. It is a 6 core i-7 series 8 from Dell. There is 16 g ram and I see no reason why I should have a slow machine after this. Since I went this far, I went ahead and upgraded the Office to 2016 and decided to get Windows Pro, even though I might not need it. One never knows...I might decided to set up a network at some point. (One never knows about these things.)

Carol

On 11/26/2017 6:04 PM, Les Kriegler wrote:
Hi Carol,

I think you'll find that web pages will load faster, although I'm certain the browser has something to do with that. Google Chrome is my browser of choice now. In my case, the SSD drive is built in, but it was on my other machine with 8 GV of RAM, so perhaps it doesn't matter as much. I was always told that if I had to make a choice between processor speed and memory, go for the extra memory.

Les

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:49 PM

Hi Les,

Thank you. I never was much of an Office user. I didn't like all of the extra chatter. You know, the things like themes, styles and some other stuff that I can't tell you what it was, grin. Anyway, I think I shall still install it as it will be needed for other things.

Carol

On 11/26/2017 8:34 AM, Les Kriegler wrote:
Carol, I had a system with 8 GB of RAM, and now have one with 16. I see a major speed increase with loading of Office Programs. It makes my 8 GB system seem almost slow. Good luck.

Les

Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:11 AM

I should also add that I am not totally set on getting Pro, and, if I find I need it later, I am sure Microsoft won't mind selling me an upgrade, grin.

Also, I don't think I need 16g ram, but that is what it comes with, so I won't worry about it. My biggest thing is the SSD and I am sure I should be able to tork that out.

Carol

On 11/25/2017 10:22 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Hi Carol,

What do you do that requires Windows 10 Pro, just curious?

Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2017 6:38 PM

HaHaHaHa!! Yes, I am going to tell. I just finished looking at one and am almost considering it. It is a Dell xsp. Here are some of the specs:

I-7 quad core, 3.2
16 g ram
2 t hard drive (I want an SSD)
Win10 home, I want Pro
1 DVD/CD drive (doesn't say plus or minus) a wired keyboard and laser mouse does not come with Office It has an HDMI port, BlueTooth WiFi, 2 USB2 ports, and the rest of the ports are USB 3, 3-c and 3-1, totaling 12 ports. There is one SD slot which will handle SD, SDHC and SDXC.
Graphic CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

OK, folks, there you have it. Price right now (Black Friday) $999 + $15 shipping and Indiana sales tax. So, that means I also need to buy the SSD and Office. There is no monitor, but I should be able to plug in my old VGA. Thanks to all that made suggestions.

Carol

On 11/25/2017 7:04 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Now after all that you won't tell us what you decided to get so a
dozen of us on the list can tell you why you should and why you
shouldn't get that particular PC *smile*

Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2017 3:25 PM
Subject: decision made Re: need recommendation for new PC

Thank you. I think I have made my decision. Now, I need to start working on where I will get it.

Carol

On 11/25/2017 2:10 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
I have some 480 Gb SSD's and have quite a bit of stuff on there and I don't notice a major slow-down.

Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2017 4:45 AM
Subject: Re: need recommendation for new PC

Hi Sieghard,

I have one last question about the SSD. If I start getting lots of files on the SSD, will it slow down in performance? If this is the case, shouldn't I get a smaller SSD and only keep those files that must reside there and place everthing else on a secondary or external drive?
Thank you for your help.

Carol

On 11/24/2017 8:21 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
With email you typically don't have a choice or at least it's much more difficult to store your Outlook.pst file (if Outlook is what you use) on a different drive than the default used by Outlook.
Other stuff like documents and especially music files and pictures and videos you should have on a different drive. It really depends on how much data you have and how large of an SSD you buy, if you have a 480 Gb or 512 Gb SSD and you only have 100 or 200 Gb of stuff then you might as well have it on the SSD.

Regards,
Sieghard

Sent: Friday, November 24, 2017 3:29 PM

Hi Sieghard,

I think I have received more information today on this subject than I have ever received, grin. I have a lot to think about. One question, is it best to install all programs to the SSD and store their results on a different drive, i.e. load Goldwave from drive c and write results to drive d, or should I write results to drive c also and then move the files to drive d? Should my documents and email , etc be stored on drive c?

Carol

On 11/24/2017 4:35 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Hi Carol,

Just take a look at what is out there at a good deal. As others have pointed out, 8 Gb of RAM is pretty good, I don't subscribe to Kelly's believe that you need the latest i7 processor, most of my PC's at my store have I5 processors and they do just fine, but if the price difference is not too big then there is no reason to go with an I7.
I think if I had a choice between an I7 PC with a regular hard drive and an I5 option with an SSD for a similar price then I'd choose the I5 with SSD because you do get much better performance from an SSD. Of course if you have tons of data you might want a regular hard drive or you can go with a smaller SSD just for the OS and your applications and use a USB 3 external hard drive for your data.
SSD's are not bad now even the ones around 480 to 512 Gb, but the 240 Gb ones are still cheaper and if you are not worried about lots of data then a smaller SSD will be just fine, even a 120 Gb is 3 times what you need to run just Windows and Office and a few other things.
Earlier this year I purchased a couple of HP Elite Mini PC's, these are not laptops, but just very small PC's. I really like them.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2017 1:11 PM

You dont need a super expensive system. You do need the fastest I5 processor you can afford and 8GB of ram. Everything else is optional.
the onboard sound, video and network is fine.
A good SSD is very nice to have. I like Samsung myself.
256GB is fine for your OS and programs. A seperate multi TB HDD is good for music and other things like One drive and dropbox On 11/24/2017 6:00 AM, Carol Smith via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,

I must get a new PC. I am looking for suggestions for one that
will meet the best use criteria for speech. Is 8g ram enough
or should I get 12? Should I get both SSD and SETA frives? If
I neeed SSD, how large should it be? Generally, which would be
the best brand? I know this is a personal choice. I have had
Dells for the last two computers and am wondering if something
else would be better. I have Office 2007. Can I use 2007 on a win10 system or Should I get 2016?
My current PC is almost 8 years old and is beginning to do some
wierd stuff, so I thought I had better take care of getting a
new one before this one gives up.

Finally, does anyone use a hybred and what do they think of it.
I know I do not want a notebook, so it must be either a hybred,
a decent laptop or another desktop. Thanks for any suggestions.
Oh yes, I would like to get one on sale today, grin.

Carol

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.