Re: need recommendation for new PC

Kelly Pierce

Carol,

I saw your post about the specifics of your new computer in another
thread. Congratulations on a solid purchase decision. By putting
processor speed ahead of disc drives, you will have a fast and
reliable machine for many years. Products are projects of negotiation
and compromise inside companies. SSD drives are much more expensive
than rotating disc drives. The vast majority want a fast computer with
the latest processor at a reasonable price. Only a very few geeks are
willing to pay significantly extra for the SSD and rotating disc
combination.

Kelly

On 11/26/17, Carol Smith via Groups.Io <carollablady=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Kelly,

Thank you. I am likely to get the PC I saw last night. It doesn't have
the SSD, but I have found some very reasonable and hope to be able to
get someone that can help me with Win10 so I can make it my main drive.

Carol

On 11/25/2017 1:19 PM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
Carol,

SSD drives do not slow down with more data stored on them like
rotating disc drives. With disc drives, data is scattered among
multiple platters in various physical places on the drive. The drive
head needs to travel to the various physical places on the different
platters to access different files on the disc. The fuller the disc,
the greater distance the drive head needs to travel. On an SSD drive,
data can be accessed anywhere electronically without any moving parts.
Most notebooks only have SSD drives today. As Sieghard said, just put
your audio files and things that you rarely access on an external hard
disc drive. I have tens of thousands of audio tracks and they sit on
a two terabyte disc drive for when I want them. I must say though
that I have all my Bookshare books on my SSD drive and backed up to
both OneDrive and my hard disc. The same is true for my audio books
from the library.

If a computer is at the center of your life for information access,
then definitely get an i7. I am often creating documents or audio
files with more than 20 windows open, bringing data from each to
create a final product. If Carol is the kind of person who wants a
secondary computer or just sits on her rump and Web surfs, then an i5
could work easily. The issue is not what Carol needs but what Carol
wants, the efficiency desired and the ease of use obtained. I lived
with Windows XP until December 2013 because I did not like Windows 7
and wanted the instant startup with Windows 8.

Kelly

On 11/25/17, Carol Smith via Groups.Io <carollablady=aol.com@groups.io>
wrote:
Hi Sieghard,

I have one last question about the SSD. If I start getting lots of
files on the SSD, will it slow down in performance? If this is the
case, shouldn't I get a smaller SSD and only keep those files that must
reside there and place everthing else on a secondary or external drive?
Thank you for your help.

Carol

With email you typically don't have a choice or at least it's much more
difficult to store your Outlook.pst file (if Outlook is what you use) on
different drive than the default used by Outlook.
Other stuff like documents and especially music files and pictures and
videos you should have on a different drive. It really depends on how
much
data you have and how large of an SSD you buy, if you have a 480 Gb or
512
Gb SSD and you only have 100 or 200 Gb of stuff then you might as well
have it on the SSD.

Regards,
Sieghard