From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2017 10:54 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: need recommendation for new PC

Hi Tony. Thanks much for this breakdown. The most intensive work I do is with large files in Kurzweil and editing Goldwave files. Yes, storage is a nice thing to have. I currently have several external hard drives and a shortage on places to plug them in when I need to sort files or get rid of duplicates. I don't know that I would want to store 8t of information, just in case the drive should fail. Do you think the newer systems have a decent sound card or do you have a separate one installed? thanks for your help.

Carol

On 11/24/2017 10:18 AM, Tony wrote:
My old Win 7 machine is a dual core I3 with a max of 8gb and a number of hard drives. It runs Office 2010. I do internet, OCR, editing, and file manipulations on it. I frequently have 20 or more windows open at a time. I have installed a fast SSd for the boot drive and a second, smaller one for a paging file.

I am able to do a lot of work on it but with 8GB ram, it gets both CPU and memory bound and runs very slowly at times, sometimes crashing.

My new win 10 system has a quad core Xeon with 32GB ram, 1TB SSD and a number of hard drives. I got an inexpensive copy of Office 2016 from one of the blind vendors and the machine flys. The quad cores only help if I have a number of CPU intensive programs running or am running a program that can utilize multiple cores. I have a couple of programs that won't run on win 10, which has slowed my learning of the newer system a bit but I will eventually use it for most everything.

My last several machines have been Dell. I know you can get more machine for the buck elsewhere but I have been very happy with their service. My new machine had a problem with the default sound device being switched without notice and disappearing completely at times. A Dell tech spent several days tracking down the intermittent problem. It turned out to be an incorrect driver being loaded, problems with their automatic driver updating, and finally a new motherboard and audio riser were installed. While waiting on diagnostics to run she help me find some software I had been looking for and advised me about improving system performance. The process took a couple of months and I had the same tech for the duration. It was great.
If you don't run several programs at once or do a lot of heavy computing a dual core I5 should last you a number of years. 8TB will probably do but might not be enough in the future. A SSD boot drive is a must. The boot time on my win 7 machine was cut by 2/3 by adding one and programs are more responsive. A 128 or 256GB drive should do if you keep most of your data on another drive. My 240GB SSD is less than half full. The machine seems to freeze at times when I run low on memory. It can take more than 4 seconds to swap a GB of memory to the SSD and replace it. A hard drive can take much longer. When this happens I know it is time to shut down some windows that haven't been used for days or programs that I know have memory leaks. I rarely reboot the win 10 machine and the win 7 machine once or twice a week when it really get slow.

Tony