Re: need recommendation for new PC

Kelly Pierce

I have found that blind people fail to put a high importance on
processor choice. This is particularly so when multiple programs are
open with multiple windows of each program and you are also doing
processor intensive tasks, such as OCR conversion or converting files
from one format to another. It is important to buy an i7 processor of
the most recent Intel chip generation. Intel has a special process
known as hyper threading that allows a chip to process quickly
multiple tasks at the same time. You will not be disappointed with the
performance of these machines. Computer makers often include loads of
memory in the high performance machines.

You do not need a solid state drive but you might want one. Windows
and programs load very quickly and the responsiveness is incredible.
I specifically have one on my computer along with a regular terabyte
hard disc drive for keeping data files, such as my ripped music files.
All of the black Friday deals on computers are typically for mid-range
machines and I have never seen a high performance PC go on deep
discount after Thanksgiving. I bought my Dell computer on Christmas
Eve as a closeout. The store had two left, both display models. The
computer retailed for $1,800 and I paid $1,200 before Chicago’s
outrageously high sales tax was applied. High performance computers
are not cheap bargains. Few people are willing to pay for the
performance and computer companies have the pricing power in this
relatively small market.

Kelly

On 11/24/17, Tony <tony@k5twz.com> wrote:
My old Win 7 machine is a dual core I3 with a max of 8gb and a number of
hard drives. It runs Office 2010. I do internet, OCR, editing, and file
manipulations on it. I frequently have 20 or more windows open at a time.
I have installed a fast SSd for the boot drive and a second, smaller one for
a paging file.

I am able to do a lot of work on it but with 8GB ram, it gets both CPU and
memory bound and runs very slowly at times, sometimes crashing.

My new win 10 system has a quad core Xeon with 32GB ram, 1TB SSD and a
number of hard drives. I got an inexpensive copy of Office 2016 from one of
the blind vendors and the machine flys. The quad cores only help if I have
a number of CPU intensive programs running or am running a program that can
utilize multiple cores. I have a couple of programs that won't run on win
10, which has slowed my learning of the newer system a bit but I will
eventually use it for most everything.

My last several machines have been Dell. I know you can get more machine
for the buck elsewhere but I have been very happy with their service. My
new machine had a problem with the default sound device being switched
without notice and disappearing completely at times. A Dell tech spent
several days tracking down the intermittent problem. It turned out to be an
incorrect driver being loaded, problems with their automatic driver
updating, and finally a new motherboard and audio riser were installed.
While waiting on diagnostics to run she help me find some software I had
been looking for and advised me about improving system performance. The
process took a couple of months and I had the same tech for the duration.
It was great.
If you don't run several programs at once or do a lot of heavy computing a
dual core I5 should last you a number of years. 8TB will probably do but
might not be enough in the future. A SSD boot drive is a must. The boot
time on my win 7 machine was cut by 2/3 by adding one and programs are more
responsive. A 128 or 256GB drive should do if you keep most of your data
on another drive. My 240GB SSD is less than half full. The machine seems
to freeze at times when I run low on memory. It can take more than 4
seconds to swap a GB of memory to the SSD and replace it. A hard drive can
take much longer. When this happens I know it is time to shut down some
windows that haven't been used for days or programs that I know have memory
leaks. I rarely reboot the win 10 machine and the win 7 machine once or
twice a week when it really get slow.

Tony