Re: problems With My JFW screenreader

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hi:
Thanks for your response.
I use JAWS 16. I have the latest version of firefox, which I
downloaded a week ago. I use windows 7-32 bit.
Talking about NVDA, I have it on my computer. In fact I've been using
it since 2011. The problem I have with NVDA is the default speech,
callled ESpeak. I just don't understand the speech. I used to use an
old synthesizer known as viavoice outloud, but it no longer works
effectively with the internet. It is outdated. I am also not used to
narrator. I am not familiar with the synthesizer. It is too low, and
I have some hearing impairment.
So, I make do with JAWS demo copy.
I forgot to ask about bookmarks on firefox. I've been having problems
lately removing saved bookmarks. When I activate the edit this
bookmark link, the screen reader JAWS crashes, and the computer itself
crashes for some time, and sometimes could cause disfunctioning.
Again, talking about chrome, can I sync my bookmarks in to chrome? and
how do I do it.
Hope to read a response again.
Thanks and kind regards.
From Ibrahim.

Hi Ibrahim,

Can you let us know what version of Windows and what version of Firefox you
are using? There are issues with the latest version of Firefox which is
version 57 and which is also called Firefox Quantum.
If you are using the demo version of Jaws, you might want to consider
downloading Jaws 2018 or at least Jaws 18, bboth of these versions work well
with Google Chrome and I have now made this my default browser because it is
fast and works well in most situations.
Lastly, have you heard of NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access)? It is a free
screenreader and once you learn how to use it you might find it does all you
want, here the link to the NV Access website and some information from their
website:
https://www.nvaccess.org

NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) is a free “screen reader” which enables
blind and vision impaired people to use computers. It reads the text on the
screen in a computerised voice. You can control what is read to you by
moving the cursor to the relevant area of text with a mouse or the arrows on
your keyboard.
NVDA can also convert the text into braille if the computer user owns a
device called a “braille display”.
NVDA provides the key to education and employment for many blind people. It
also provides access to social networking, online shopping, banking and
news.
NVDA works with Microsoft Windows. You can download it to your PC, or to a
USB stick which you can use with any computer.
Normally screen readers are expensive, making them unaffordable for many
blind people. NVDA is free. It’s been downloaded 70,000+ times, in 43
languages.