From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 6:34 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Most effective OCR route

Hi Everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. I am a blind lawyer. I use JAWS 16, Windows 10 and Office 10/16.

I use FineReader 11 for the purpose of converting inaccessible PDF documents into word. While some portion of the converted text is clear, I often find that the first few pages and minute details like clause numbers/dates aren't clear. One common problem that I observe is that in the definitions clause, a lot of the content gets jumbled up in the word version in such a way that it is difficult to figure out which definition corresponds to which term.
Would upgrading to Fine Reader 14 help here, or are there other tools that I should explore?

I am familiar with the JAWS OCR function and RoboBraille but haven't found these to be significantly different from Fine Reader 11. So is this just the best that OCR technology currently has to offer, or are there ways of making conversion results better?

Best,
Rahul