Re: Most effective OCR route

Gudrun Brunot

Dear Rahul: I wish I could offer you glad tidings, but I have the same issues as a blind translator. I receive many job offers with ALMOST legible files, but the codes, logos, some tabulated items get scrambled, and I tend to decline those jobs. Only, they constitute the lion's share of what flows my way. The doable jobs get fewer and farther between.

Did you consider the old tried-and-true--a visually equipped assistant? Of course you have, but such is not always readily available...

Happy Thanksgiving anyway.

Gudrun

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 6:34 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Most effective OCR route

Hi Everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. I am a blind lawyer. I use JAWS 16, Windows 10 and Office 10/16.

I use FineReader 11 for the purpose of converting inaccessible PDF documents into word. While some portion of the converted text is clear, I often find that the first few pages and minute details like clause numbers/dates aren't clear. One common problem that I observe is that in the definitions clause, a lot of the content gets jumbled up in the word version in such a way that it is difficult to figure out which definition corresponds to which term.
Would upgrading to Fine Reader 14 help here, or are there other tools that I should explore?

I am familiar with the JAWS OCR function and RoboBraille but haven't found these to be significantly different from Fine Reader 11. So is this just the best that OCR technology currently has to offer, or are there ways of making conversion results better?

Best,
Rahul

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.