Re: Most effective OCR route

Kelly Pierce

Dear Rahul,

I have the current version of k1000. I used to have Open Book and
then the company that owned it stopped upgrading the OCR engines. I
had scanned a book with extensive footnotes and none of the footnote
numbers appeared in the text. With the current versions of FineReader
and OmniPage found in k1000, the footnotes are scanned and recognized
without any problem. The only way to know the answer to your question
is to run sample documents through the OCR conversion and see the
results for yourself. Feel free to send me a sample file at my private
e-mail address at KKellyP@Gmail.com to run it through the OCR
conversion and I will e-mail it back to you.

Kelly

On 11/17/17, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj1038@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. I am a blind lawyer. I use JAWS
16, Windows 10 and Office 10/16.

I use FineReader 11 for the purpose of converting inaccessible PDF
documents into word. While some portion of the converted text is
clear, I often find that the first few pages and minute details like
clause numbers/dates aren't clear. One common problem that I observe
is that in the definitions clause, a lot of the content gets jumbled
up in the word version in such a way that it is difficult to figure
out which definition corresponds to which term.
Would upgrading to Fine Reader 14 help here, or are there other tools
that I should explore?

I am familiar with the JAWS OCR function and RoboBraille but haven't
found these to be significantly different from Fine Reader 11. So is
this just the best that OCR technology currently has to offer, or are
there ways of making conversion results better?

Best,
Rahul