Re: Jaws Sound Cutting Out

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Hi, It is on the first page of the wizard Here is what you should hear as you go through the first page.
JAWS Startup Wizard dialog
Speech Settings
Rate: 73
left right slider
30 percent
To increase or decrease use the Arrow keys.
alt+R
Next >
Rate: 73
left right slider
30 percent
Punctuation: Combo box
Some
2 of 4
To change the selection use the Arrow keys.
Alt+u
Typing Echo Words radio button checked
3 of 4
To change the selection press Up or Down Arrow.
alt+E
Lower the volume of other programs while JAWS is speaking check box not checked
This is the one that needs to be unchecked. Why they dont just call it audio ducking i dont know.

On 10/23/2017 4:59 AM, Laura Wolk wrote:
Thanks, Randy. I found and disabled the sound effects checkbox in my
sound card properties, but I can't find anything in the jaws setup
wizard about audio ducking. The problem is still occurring. I will
definitely be calling FS back, but if you can give me specific
direction for where to find the checkbox in the meantime, i'd
appreciate it.

Laura

On 10/20/17, Randy Barnett <randy@soundtique.net> wrote:
Hi, make sure audio ducking is turned off.
insert + J then help then startup wizard. Go through the wizard and
look for audio ducking make sure it is unchecked.
Second go to sound.
Windows key type sound. you may have to arrow down to get just "sound".
then press enter.
Highlight the default audio device. It says default after it.
tab to Properties press enter.
Ctrl + tab to effects or enhancement.
tab to disable all effects or enhancements.
Make sure it is checked. then tab to OK. press enter.

FS shold have gone through tis with you. You may consider calling back
and talking to a manager and explaining the sutuation and the fixes
suggested here and ask why you were told they had no suggestions....

On 10/20/2017 2:22 PM, Laura Wolk wrote:
Hello,

I recently reinstalled Jaws 18 on a win10 machine, and the sound keeps
intermittently cutting in and out. For instance, if I scroll line by
line, the first word or so of the lines will sometimes be inaudible.
This does not seem to happen when I'm playing other sounds, such as
streaming music. I have checked my soundcard drivers using windows
update, and it tells me they are up to date. I called Freedom
Scientific, and was (shockingly) told that they had no suggestions. I
also think the problem is most acute when headphones are plugged in,
but I'm not certain about that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Laura

Another shortcut is
Control+Numpad+, that is basically Control+PC Cursor. It will bring up
the
insert menu, then Alt+r will insert an entire row, Alt+C an entire
column
and you don’t even have to press the numlock for this to work.