Re: messaging or texting apps for windows

First and foremost, yes, you can text from e-mail (and there's been lots already offered in that regard) and, if you get a response, you can respond in e-mail.  The one thing you absolutely must remember, though, is not to include any "enters" in your reply.   Most e-mail providers now strip these so the whole text message goes through, but some still do not, and if they don't the first enter in your message will be treated as the end.

The above being said, if you have a Google Account you can get a Google Voice phone number (at no cost) and then use the Google Hangouts website, PC app (if you use the Chrome browser), or Android and iPhone app to text to your heart's content.  There have been occasions where I've helped someone set up a Google Voice number where none were available in their home area but that's not a huge deal since you can pick another nearby, or not so nearby, area that does have numbers available.  When I helped my cousin, who lives in Phoenix, set hers up we ended up choosing a number in the area code for Newport News, VA.  Signing up for a Google Voice number is done at http://voice.google.com.

You can also text directly from Google Voice, but that's only possible from the PC.  The reason I switched all of my texts and calls to be redirected to Hangouts is because I can have it running on my PC and Android phone and both will ring at the same time or give me the "new message alert" at the same time.  While this isn't useful if I'm sitting at my PC it sure is when I'm out and about with only my Android phone.  Redirecting ones calls and texts from the native Voice setup to Hangouts is nothing more complicated than checking a checkbox in Hangouts under the Google Voice heading that reads, "Receive SMS and voicemail in Hangouts."

If you're a Google user it's worth considering.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker