Re: Ripping a CD

Elaine Young <hidden_spring@...>

Randy,

Okay, I've done that and changed to MP3 Thanks.

Now....please explain audio quality. You said "33% is 192kbs. 66% is 256Kbs. and 100% is 320kbs."  Is the average quality 50%?  Does the different levels use more space or memory or whatever you call it.  :(

I noticed my default was at 0%. That seemed odd to me but what do I know?!

I am a real novice here.

Thank you!!

-Elaine

On 10/16/2017 10:11 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:

Hi, glad you are figureing it out.
In the player press alt + t then O.
Now ctrl + tab to the rip tab.
Now tab to the format combo box and arrow down to mp3.
tab until you get to audio quality. This is a slider that justs gives percentage. 33% is 192kbs. 66% is 256Kbs. and 100% is 320kbs.
select one.
Now tab to OK and press enter.
You might want to convert the old .wma files as they are not very well supported.
This is done with a different program. It may be easier to just re-rip them after you change to mp3.
On 10/16/2017 4:44 PM, Elaine Young wrote:

Hi,

Well, Randy, I kind of have it figured out. I get glimpses of light, then get lost in the fog.

The first CD I ripped was a non-commercial one which is why it came up as unknown artist. Then I tried a second one and that one did exactly as you all said- listed the title, artist and minutes.  But..... I was unable to copy and paste it to a thumb drive.

Also I have to work a bit to understand what format it is- I am guessing it is not MP3. Thus I have to find my way to how to change that.....

-Elaine

On 10/16/2017 7:32 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
Hi, did you get this figured out?
Brian: Yeah, like you said though it automaticly pops up with the artist info so I think even a beginner would just press next to accept the first option.
the WMP part of my instructions was for the mp3 tags so media players would have the correct artist and song info. Just changing the file names wont do this. but it has been so long since I messed with a actual CD things may have changed.
God! I remember when I first put over 200 CD's on my PC When I figured out I could do that. Back then artists didnt always come up correctly. Sometimes it would have 3 different artists for a CD and I would have to find one of the kids to tell me witch one it was! LOL
On 10/16/2017 12:41 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:38 am, Randy Barnett wrote:
This is why I figured she had a non comercial burned disk or something.
Well, I presumed complete beginner.   If the situation you describe is the case then my approach is always just to rip it first then do the cleanup on the files ripped afterward.   It's been a very long time since I last had to do this, but if memory serves, audio CDs that WMP cannot find media information for will end up under the "Various Artists" folder and get some sort of generic title like "Album 1".  I find it a grand PITA to try to do the track name creation in WMP so after I get to the folder for Various Artists I just rename the folder for the album I just ripped to something that makes sense to me, then I open that folder and go track by track and rename the individual files.  I find file explorer much easier to use for that task.

Others will, however, prefer to do it in WMP.   It's been so long since I've done that for any reason I can't even begin to describe the process.  I'd have to get a mix CD that someone made for me and try it again.

If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over into your lap and you won't mind.     ~ Irving Becker

~

--

The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us. - C. S. Lewis