Re: still clicking

I’m sure experiencing even a Category 2 or 3 hurricane is a terrible experience, but there is no worse than a Cat 5 storm. When Irma was at its strongest over the ocean and before it made landfall in the carabians winds up to I think 302 Km/H were recorded.

By the time it hit Florida it had slowed to a Cat 4 and while the keys were hit hard, we all know that the damage around Tampa/St. Petersburg was a lot less than many feared.

Irma almost pales in comparison to Super Typhoon Haiyan which was also known as Yolanda in the Philippines. Property damage was less because people where this typhoon hit are poor and live in shacks, but the storm killed over 6,500 people and effected over 11 Million many of which didn’t even have the little they had before. That storm had 1-minute sustained speeds of 315 Km/H (195 MPH) and 10-minute sustained winds were measured at 230 Km/H.

Here is part of an article from the CBC science section:

Irma is currently listed as a Category 5 hurricane, but some articles circulating on the internet claim it could become the first to reach Category 6.

But those articles are fake.

How do we know? Because the Saffir-Simpson hurricane wind scale, which categorizes hurricanes' destructiveness based on their wind speeds, ranges from

1 to 5.

When a Category 5 storm hits, you can expect "catastrophic damage," according to a National Hurricane Center backgrounder. "Most of the area will be uninhabitable

for weeks or months," it says, as the winds will destroy many homes, collapsing roofs, walls, trees and power lines, causing power outages that last for

weeks or months.

But why is there no Category 6?

"Because once you say catastrophic and there's near complete damage, why do you need a 6?" says Dennis Feltgen, a spokesperson for the National Hurricane

Center.

Of course, it's not wind speed alone that makes hurricanes destructive. Hurricane Harvey was just a Category 4 when it hit the coast of Texas on Aug. 25,

but killed at least 60 people and left 560,000 families seeking housing assistance. Massive flooding from storm surges and more than a metre of rain

caused much of the destruction.

"We basically have a scale for storm surge … how many feet above ground level there would be inundation." says Feltgen.

But the different factors that make storms destructive are too variable to measure on a scale of wind speed, he said.