Re: JAWS 17 vague and indistinct on my new laptop: What I have tried, what should I try next?

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

How does the laptop handle movies or music? If it sounds fine with those it is a Jaws issue. If they sound bad also it is a soundcard issue. But It could be software or hardware. 99% of the time my sound was hollow or vague sounding it was some effect or enhancement that was making it sound bad. I know you have been through this. So  if it isnt Jaws perhaps you should uninstall the soundcard driver and reinstall the latest driver. If it is Jaws then do a Jaws repair useing the /type repair.

On 10/5/2017 11:18 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
I honestly dont think a different soundcard is going to help. Even cheap onboard sound is up to handling jaws. Unless your soundcard has a hardware issue it is most likely a software issue. I have had over a dozen computers and laptops and not one had a problem with Jaws. Speaking of cheap what kind of Digital to analog chip do you think they put in a usb dongle that comes with a 30 dollor set of headphones?
On 10/5/2017 10:37 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
I don't bother with an actual USB sound card, I just use USB
headphones and the on-board audio quality issue is taken care of. The
sound card is only necessary if you wish to use standalone speakers
but honestly I prefer the headphones because I can turn them down
extremely low and still hear. As long as the cheapest end of the range
is avoided I have been happy with just about every set I've purchased
($30 and up). The ones I have now are logictech something or other,
capable of 3D sound but I don't use that ability (I barely use
left-right mixing, let alone forward-back or up-down).

On 10/5/17, Tim Ford <ttford@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Jonas,

Thank you very much for mentioning that.  I had assumed that all USB sound
cards would be stereo.  Is there something more than that I should look for
in the specifications?  Any particular recommended USB sound cards?

I did try JAWS 2018 BETA, but it did not change the JAWS sound, as most of
you predicted.  I did want to try 2018 since I assume it would give better
overall performance with web pages that use the latest and greatest visual
designs.  However, I found that 2018 was terrible with my Office 2010
programs, and somehow also affected my JAWS 17, which suddenly was doing a
lot of sluggish things, going silent for a good minute or so, and common
operations, such as spellcheck, were real problems in Outlook.  I removed
JAWS 2018, and my problems cleared up; JAWS 17 is back to what qualifies by
today's standards as working well.

So USB sound card shopping I will go, after I receive whatever guidance this
great group can provide!

Sincerely,
Tim Ford