Re: JAWS 17 vague and indistinct on my new laptop: What I have tried, what should I try next?

Soronel Haetir

On-board audio is very often of low quality even on otherwise good
systems. I would suggest you find a pair of headphones (either USB or
3.5mm audio jack, doesn't matter for this test) and check whether the
problem remains when using a different output. It may simply be that
the built-in speakers will not give good enough results to use at the
speed you would like.

On 9/28/17, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
You should probably try Jaws 18 in demo mode anyway, no harm done. I
would try vocalizer expressive and see how you like it.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:05:42 -0400,
Tim Ford wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
Hi All,

The issue I would like to put before this expert and experienced group of
JAWS users is as follows.

If I speed up JAWS to the rate I have used for years (50% (AKA speed 96)
on the JAWS scale), the usual clarity of the Eloquence voice degrades
under certain circumstances, resulting in the first letter or syllable
becoming vague and
indistinct, and uncertain to the point where I too often need to resort to
that command to have JAWS give the military alphabet thing, a for alpha, b
for bravo, etc. This really slows me down when writing or editing in Word
or on
Outlook, and I do a lot of writing and editing!

This problem was present from the beginning on my new Asus brand laptop,
which is fairly robust in terms of speed and ram, way more RAM than I had
on my previous computers, and this problem did not exist. I am running
JAWS 17, the final
release, and the very latest update to Windows 10..

At the suggestion of Freedom Scientific tech support, I first updated the
drivers for the 2 built-in sound cards that came standard on the machine.
I also confirmed that the sound card special effects were turned off. No
improvement. By
the way, I had Microsoft remote in and handle those sound card driver
updates since I live alone, and was concerned I could lose all sound, and
have to go find a working pair of eyes to walk them through getting one of
the sound cards
speaking!

FS tech support then remoted in to my machine, and ran what they described
as an especially thorough and deep version of the JAWS repair feature.
Problem still there; I cannot run JAWS at my usual speed, I have to slow
it down, and the
problem disappears. Ironically, it acts as if I had a really old and slow
computer, where the opposite is the case.

FS support then suggested trying other JAWS voices, while acknowledging
that Eloquence was normally what folks found to be the most responsive and
clear when run at my speed, which is around 50.

With the above in mind, what available JAWS voices, if any, would have the
best chance of working for my purposes?

FS support, as usual, suggested I try version 18. At least this time they
first checked and noted I did not have JAWS rights past version 17, and
did not push me to try JAWS 18 or 2018. I would, for cost reasons, prefer
to get JAWS 17
working the way it did on all my previous computers! If trying other
voices does not work, then I will try 18 and 201, in demo mode.

So, any voice recommendations are greatly appreciated. If you think I
should instead buy and try a USB sound card, do you have a recommendation
on a good USB sound card that does not cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim Ford

How do
you spend it?