Re: How to get Dec-TALK Express to work with JAWS Version 14 and later versions

Dave Durber

Hello again Shai:

After replying to your email the other day, I called JFW Tech Support. Luckily, I got Dennis Goodin, who I've known for a very long time indeed. After explaining my difficulty, he suggested I use the JAWS command: JAWS/INSERT+CTRL+S command, to open the "select A Voice Profile" Dialog and, guess what, the DEC-TALK Express was listed there. However, when I Pressed ENTER to select it and on the OK Button, there was a brief pause and JAWS continued to use Eloquence.

So, I returned to the Synthesizer and Braille Manager, ENTERED on the Add, Modify or Change Devices button, chose the default, which is "Synthesizers", ENTERED on the next button, selected the DEC-TALK Express, which was already checked and activated the Next Button. In the dialog, there is a combo box, which lists all the Serial Ports which are available. As I mentioned previously, COM1 was the only one listed.

However, this time, instead of just accepting and presuming COM1 was already highlighted because it was the only listed Serieal Port, I pressed the DOWN ARROW, JAWS announced "COM1" for the second time, indicating that COM1 had been highlighted.

I activated the Next and Close Buttons to close the Synthesizer and Braille Manager, restarted JAWS, accessed the "select A Voice Profile" Dialog, selected the DEC-TALK Express, pressed ENTER to select it and on the OK Button, to close the dialog and, hay presto, JAWS was speaking using the DEC-Talk Express.

In your first reply to my email, you mentioned that you were using JAWS, with a DEC-TALK Express, through a USB to Serial adaptor, in a 64 BIT version of Windows 10. Please explain to me, how you got the DEC-TALK Express to work in a 64 BIT environment.

I look forward to your reply, as I need to install Windows 10 on my systems and I will need to use The DEC-TALK in a 64 BIT environment.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber