Re: labeling and finding graphics

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Shannon,

See if this will give you a shove in the right direction  There are steps for both mmanual labeling & auto labeling:

Creating a Graphic Label Manually
To practice creating a Graphic Label, use HJPad. To launch HJPad go to Start, Programs, JAWS X (where X is the JAWS version number), Run HJPad.

Using the Graphics Labeler is easy, but before you start ensure that you have speak graphics verbosity turned on. Follow these steps to be sure:

With HJPad open, press INSERT+V to bring up the Verbosity dialog box.
Press G to move to the Graphics Verbosity item in the list box.
Press the SPACEBAR until you hear JAWS say, "All graphics," and then press ENTER.
Now that all graphics will be spoken, you are ready to find a graphic to label.

Press the NUM PAD MINUS key to activate the JAWS cursor.
Tip: To navigate to the toolbar, first press PAGE UP to move to the top of the window, and then press HOME to move to the top, left.

Use the arrow keys to move to the first toolbar button. You will hear, "Graphic XXX." XXX can indicate any number.
Press INSERT+G to open the Graphics Labeler.
When the Graphics Labeler is opened, the focus is in the edit field, where you should enter the label for the graphic. It will contain the graphic number.  Press the delete key to remove the number then, type the name for your graphic.
Press the TAB key to move to the Braille label field. Here you can enter a label for a Braille display.
Next press the TAB key to move to a group of radio buttons that will let you determine where you want to save the label, in the application file, default file, or both files.  Choose the application file. 
Press ENTER to activate your graphic label.
Note: To edit a graphic label, use the same procedure that you would to create a new graphic label, and just change the name of the label in the Graphics Labeler when it opens. To delete a graphic label, do the same, but delete the name in the Graphics Labeler.

Using the Auto Graphics Labeler
The Auto Graphics Labeler assigns a text label to all graphics that are associated with ToolTips. A ToolTip is a brief description of a graphic that appears on the screen as you point to the graphic with your mouse.

To activate the Auto Graphics Labeler, open the desired application, and press CTRL+INSERT+G.

JAWS will attempt to label all graphics. Do not move the mouse or press any keys on the keyboard until JAWS states that the Auto Graphics Labeler is finished. When JAWS finishes, it will announce the newly labeled graphics.

After using the Auto Graphics Labeler, you can use CTRL+INSERT+SHIFT+G to bring up the Select Graphic to Click Dialog box. With this dialog box, you can use your arrow keys to move through the available graphics, and then press the TAB key to move to the OK button and press ENTER to activate the graphic you selected.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:42 AM
Subject: labeling and finding graphics

Good morning.

I am trying to label a few graphics and then trying to find them with the mouse.

The mouse will not find any of the graphics that I know are up there.  I tried to use the auto graphics labeler, but it said no graphics labeled.

I found it by using the touch curser and a set of eyes since the touch curser said nothing  when it landed on it but button.  The only thing odd about that is that the touch curser calls this a button. I routed the mouse to the touch curser. I was told that the mouse did go to the graphic and the tool tip popped up with the title of the graphic. I  then used the insert G to label the graphic and that dialog popped up. I saved it to the application file.

Now when I try to do a search for this labeled graphic the mouse curser will not find it.

The touch curser will not use the label I gave it either. It just keeps calling it a button without a label. The PC curser can’t get to this area of the screen.  

I have my graphics setting to  verbosity labeled graphics. The dimensions are the default.

Why will not JAWS read these labeled graphics when they have tool tips? Why won’t the touch curser use the graphic label  I gave it?

The touch curser would be fine , even though the touch curser is very slow to react to a click command but it won’t speak the label.

What am I not doing?

Thanks

Shannon

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.