Re: JAWS 2018 and Edge

Joseph Norton

Hi:

Keep in mind this is beta software and they will, no doubt, be tweaking things as the time progresses.  They may have someone lurking on this list, but, just in case, report it using the Beta Report Form at:

https://www.freedomscientific.com/Forms/JAWSBetaReport

Even something like this can slip by at in a beta cycle.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 9:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2018 and Edge

It just strikes me as strange that a Screen reader developer like VFO would have an installer that requires the use of the touch cursor to read the dialog box if useing Jaws 18 for the install.:)

On 9/1/2017 2:39 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

I actually ran the install self-voicing.  It gave the 25% increment indicators.

Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 5:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 2018 and Edge

If you use your prevous Jaws to do the install yu have to use the touch cursor to read the progress and dialog box...
On 9/1/2017 2:19 PM, Joseph Norton wrote:

I have verified that JAWS2018 works with Edge in the stable Creator’s edition of Windows 10.  I did have the Insider build installed and experienced problems with Edge support, so I reverted back to the stable release.

I have also noticed problems with the Windows 10 mail program’s reading pane not updating, such that, when you read your first message, then try to read any additional ones, you still get the first message read to you.  However, the screen shows the right thing.

I have reported this, and I imagine others have.

I wouldn’t be quick to say that the final release of JAWS 2018 will not work with ‘Edge in the Fall Creators’ update, as I imagine they are working on that, and, this is, after all, only the first beta.

I will say that I like the new installer.  It is self-voicing.  They tell you to press ctrl-p to hear the agreement and it plays an audio file.  Other than that, it is easier to install JAWS, although the time it takes to actually perform the install seems about the same.  I installed it over a previous version of JAWS and did a stand-alone install.  I got the migration wizard automatically and it performed well.

Haven’t tried OCR yet.  Got to find some files to try it with.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.