Re: Programming Language

Annabelle Susan Morison

If I start with Python, is there a manual out there that I can study? Better yet, can Python be programmed in a text editor like Notepad?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pablo Morales
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Programming Language

I am not understanding your question well. I guess that you are asking the following:

What language is able to create accessible programs for visually impaired users as well for sighted?

I am confused because when you are talking about programs, languages and users each part is independent.

You create a program using a language, the operating system runs the program that you created, but the user will access the program that you created, no the language.

All languages could be accessible or not accessible at all. It depends on the way how you created the programs.

If you are just starting, you can start with Python, there are developing inviroments very accessible, or you can use visual studio, that also is very accessible.

Now the accessibility of the programs that you create depends on the way how you created, so it depends on you.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:30 AM

I'd rather make a program that could run on a computer rather than the web. And I'm trying to figure out, which programming language would be accessible to both sighted and visually impaired customers alike?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Pablo Morales
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:25 AM

Hi Annabelle,

If you are just starting, I will not recommend start from C++. C++ is very good because you are able to develop software that will not require interpreters like visual basic, c#, python, and many others. However it imply that C++ is a little bit more complex than python or visual basic.

I don’t know what is the experience that you have, but if you are just starting, you might be better with a visual basic language, where you are able to add and modify those controls that you want to create, combo boxes, list boxes, buttons, and all of that. As higher is the level of the language that you want to use, it is more easy to be handle for us, but at the same time it imply that it will use more computer resources, and more dependency of the operating system. As lower is the level of the language that  you want to use, you are closer of the machine language, so the computer will use less resources, and it will be more independent of the operating system.

However, if you want to use controls like combo boxes , buttons, and all of that, other choice that you have is the web development. A web app runs on a server, no matter if the visitors are working on a Mac Os or on a windows computer.

Choices for web development are many but ASP and PHP are the most common today. ASP web apps runs on windows servers, but the pages are going to be seen on whatever operating system with a software to browse on internet. PHP runs on apache web servers, but the web pages are going to be seen on computers with operating systems that support web browsing.\

So at the end, no difference.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:50 AM
Subject: Programming Language

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I hope that some of you fellow JAWS members might have an easy solution to this problem I'm having. I am a beginner at computer programming, and I want to make a program with a language that is not only accessible to screen readers like JAWS, but is universal across Mac and Windows operating systems. I want to learn how to program things like buttons, checkboxes, radio buttons, paragraphs, textboxes, sections, combo boxes, listboxes, tree views, progress bars, scroll bars, list views, and sliders. I'd like to try the C++ Programming Language, recommended to me by my friend, Markus Johnson (Yes, that's "Markus" with a "K", and not a "C"), but I'm not sure how to configure codes for things like buttons, checkboxes, listboxes, comboboxes, hotkeys, and radiobuttons. Do I just write these codes in a plain text editor like Notepad? I'm confused on this one! But another friend of mine, Marc-Pierre Verge, tells me I should use Python. Now I'm really confused! Which language would you recommend? The program that I'm making is an app that I like to call "Ceremony Script Generator". This is an app that contains fillable forms, then generates a finished script in paragraphs and sections. There are different ceremonies for which customers can design a script with wordings of their choice. Basically, with this program, you can generate scripts for Wedding ceremonies, Baptism/dedication/christening/naming ceremonies, and funeral ceremonies/memorial services. In this Email, I will attach an example of a ceremony I've made. This Email will also contain part of my soon-to-be program. Here are some examples of the App I want to make. These are in HTML, but I want to learn how to code them in a different programming language. If you open these in a plain text editor like Notepad, you'll be able to see the source code I've made. One thing I'd like to learn is how to hide a textbox ("Last Name For Couple") and show two other textboxes ("Last Name For Spouse 1" and "Last Name For Spouse 2") when a checkbox ("The Couple Plans To Use The Same Last Name After Marriage") is unchecked, and vice versa when the checkbox is checked. And here is an example of what I want to generate in paragraphs and sections when customers complete all the steps. Read the source code in either a web browser or a plain text editor, and you'll see what I'm trying to generate. I don't want to create a program for running on a website, but I want to create a program that runs within the operating system.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.