Re: Cursor on web page

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

If you are on a web page and press Control+Shift+K to bring up the placemarker dialogue or manager or whatever you want to call it, you have an "Add" button to add a new place marker, if you already have existing ones they are listed and if you want to delete one just put focus on it and tab until you get to the "Remove" button or press Alt+R or you can also tab to "Remove All" or press Alt+V.
I apologize by the way for saying earlier that if you set a temporary placemarker and close the browser that placemarker would be deleted. I just noticed that this is not so, it stays, if you set another temporary placemarker the location is changed to the new location, but it does not seem to get automatically deleted.

Regards,
Sieghard.

Regards,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Margaret Johnson
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:41 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Cursor on web page

I appreciate the e-mail about the placemarkers. However, I am not sure how you ment to delete the permanent ones when you are through with them.
Margaret

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:15 AM

Hi Marilyn,

Yes, the Windows key is next to the left control key, it's the one which bring up your Windows start menu/search box.
Control+Windows Key+K as I said sets a "temporary" placemarker, if after you return to it you continue reading the web page and then set another placemarker at a different point using this key combination the first one is overwritten and the new location is marked. Also, if you exit whichever browser you use the placemarker is gone.
If you want to set permanent placemarkers you have to use the placemarker dialogue which you bring up with Control+Shift+K, then you can add a permanent placemarker by pressing Alt+A for "Add" or tab to "Add" and activate it. You can also remove existing placemarkers you have set. Typically any placemarkers you set here are specific to the website you are on, e.g. you could visit your banking website and set placemarkers for particular links, then go to a completely different website and set placemarkers there and each set of placemarkers only becomes relevant if you are on the correct website.
Placemarkers can be very useful and powerful just as Jaws Find can be (Insert+Control+f. Maybe I am reading a news article about something and somehow the site refreshes and I loose my place, if I remember one of the last words I read was "negotiations" I could just bring up Jaws Find, type in "negotiations" and chances are I am back exactly where I was before unless the word occurs several times, but in this case I can just press F3 each time I come to the word and it's not yet the place/context where I was before.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:57 AM

Sieghard,

So to make sure - the Windows key is the one right next to the bottom left control key, right?

Also, when I leave the web and then return and press k and find my place, then is that place marker operation cancelled? When I need to leave the web page again, I would repeat all those keystrokes?

Thanks.

Marilyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 10:43 AM

That would be my suggestion, just press Control+Windows Key+K before you go to Word to set a temporary placemarker, then after you return to the web page if your place has been lost press "k" and you are back where you were.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Hourigan
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:53 AM

Would using place markers help?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: August 19, 2017 10:04 PM

Unfortunately, this is a common symptom when leaving and returning to a web page window. This also happens to me when downloading talking books from the National Library for the Blind. I don't know of any way to prevent this. The only thing I have found is to look for a word on the web page, and after returning to it, search for that word using CONTROL plus the letter F. This cuts down on the time needed to relocate your place on the web page.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marilyn Bland
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:29 PM

Hello everyone,

I am encountering a very frustrating situation. I am reading something on the internet, switch to my Word document to make a note of something for future reference, then switch back to the web page with the intent of continuing where I left off. However, instead of my cursor being where I left off before the switch, it is at the top of the web page and I have to arrow down through everything I have already read to find my place.

Why does this happen? Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas, Texas

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.