This control Shift 8 doesn't work for me with Windows 7 and Word 2013; I got the settings changed in only one document, and the others are still the same with paragraph markers and space markers read between each word and line. I couldn't find a "View in that options menu, but then I didn't find a Tools menu exactly. Any other help appreciated.
Thanks
Nance

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:
Mario,

I followed your steps, but all your "uncheck" items were unchecked. There was another one you did not list - object anchors - and this one was checked, so I unchecked it. This seems to have solved the problem. I am nervous about saying it is fixed, but it seems that way. If not, I'll be back to say so. Otherwise, thanks so much for your help.

Thanks to the many others who also gave solutions. I really appreciate it.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn Bland - Dallas,  Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 11:15 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Help! Announcements I can't stop

Marilyn, for Word 2010 (or you can at least get an idea where to go if you're not using 2010):

press alt, then f for the file ribbon, then t for the options dialog.
type d or arrow to select the display category and press tab until you get to the show these formatting marks on the screen section.
make sure the following are unchecked (press the spacebar to check or uncheck and continue to tab to the next setting):

Tab characters check box
Spaces check box
Paragraph marks check box
Show all formatting marks check box

the last one, the all checkbox, is important to uncheck.
keep pressing tab to and spacebar on the ok button.

now JAWS shouldn't be announcing these marks any longer.