FW: Case Update: 105914 - Eastwest Installation Center

Annabelle Susan Morison

Is there a way for me to attach text to icons in an otherwise graphical program so they can be fully recognized by JAWS? For example, Eastwest's Installation Center has buttons and a listbox, but most of them don't have "Alt Text" inside the icons. Here's what one of the guys at Eastwest told me. You can try Installation Center here:

From: East West Communications, Inc. [mailto:support@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:42 AM
To: foristnights@...
Subject: Case Update: 105914 - Eastwest Installation Center

Update for Case 105914 - "Eastwest Installation Center"

Hey Annabelle,

I don't believe there is any way for you to change any of the icons in the EW Installation Center. In the same way that Play is scripted, I don't thing the IC can be changed either. Does your JAWS system allow you to attach text to buttons without accessing the actual scripting code - as there's no way to access that?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Michael

Click here to update the Case online, or reply to this email

Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 08/15/2017
Subject: Eastwest Installation Center

Hey Annabelle,

I don't believe there is any way for you to change any of the icons in the EW Installation Center. In the same way that Play is scripted, I don't thing the IC can be changed either. Does your JAWS system allow you to attach text to buttons without accessing the actual scripting code - as there's no way to access that?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Michael

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 08/15/2017
Subject: Eastwest Installation Center

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I'm wondering, is there a way I can put "Alt Text" inside the icons of Eastwest Installation Center's interface? This way, JAWS can recognize which button I'm pointing to when I press Tab and/or Shift+Tab? Also, JAWS says there's a list box which is supposed to list all the items of Eastwest Instruments, but it seems like JAWS won't tell me which instrument I'm pointing to when I press the arrow keys. Is there a way I could make these more recognizable to JAWS? Will I be able to code these icons by myself? Or will I have to have sighted help? By the way, here are some descriptions of different parameters that I know are recognized by JAWS and other screenreaders. Each one has an explanation next to it. Please tell me if any of these descriptions are accurate. Mac users with a screenreader like Voiceover would press the equivalent key to the Alt Key and the Applications Key (the Command Key or the Option Key). Since I haven't used a Mac in a while, I'm not sure which one is equivalent to the two keys. I'm confused as to whether it's the Command Key that's equivalent to the Alt Key and the Option Key that's equivalent to the Applications key or vice versa.
1. 3-State Button (a button that can be either checked, partially checked, or unchecked)
2. Button
3. Button Dropdown A list of buttons that Can usually be opened by pressing Alt + the down arrow key)
4. Button Menu (A list of buttons that Can usually be opened by pressing the down arrow key)
5. Checkbox (Can be either checked or unchecked by pressing the spacebar)
6. Combo Box (For selecting from a dropdown list of options, opened by pressing the Alt+Down Arrow Key)
7. Context Menu (Can usually be activated by pressing the "Applications Key, shift+F10,  or the Numpad Star key)
8. Dialogue (Has to have text so the screenreader can recognize what options are there)
9. Edit (Where you can type in text, such as in a search box where you can type in the patch name or keywords which will lead you to whichever patches contain those words in their name)
10. Edit Combo (Where you can either type in an option, or press Alt+Down Arrow to open a Dropdown list of items)
11. Extended Select List Box
12. Group Box
13. Header Bar
14. Hot Key (The assigned keyboard shortcut for a command)
15. Left-Right Scroll Bar (For controls that can be increased or decreased by pressing the value change keys like - or = for small value changes, [ or ] for medium value changes, and pageup or Pagedown for large value changes. Unlike Up-Down Scroll Bars, however, the smallest value is reached by pressing the End Key, and the largest value is reached by pressing the Home key.)
16. Left-Right Slider (For controls that can be increased or decreased by pressing the value change keys like - or = for small value changes, [ or ] for medium value changes, and pageup or Pagedown for large value changes. Unlike Up-Down Sliders, however, the smallest value is reached by pressing the End Key, and the largest value is reached by pressing the Home key.)
17. Link
18. List Box
19. List View
20. Menu Bar (The kind that can be activated by pressing the Alt key)
21. MS Active Accessibility
22. Multiline Edit
23. Multi Select List Box (A listbox that allows one to select multiple items at a time.)
24. Password Edit
25. Radio Button (For buttons that can be either checked or unchecked by pressing the up/down arrow keys and either spacebar or enter)
26. Radio Button Group (For groups of radio buttons that contain options related to each other, usually found in dialog boxes.)
27. Read Only Edit
28. SpinBox
29. Static
30. Status Bar
31. Submenu (A menu within a menu, which can be opened or closed with the Left and right arrow keys, and can be scrolled through with the Up and Down arrow keys)
32. Tab Control (For dialogue boxes with multiple tabs. Each tab can be navigated to by pressing Control+Tab or Control+shift+tab, and each option within
a tab can be navigated to by pressing Tab or Shift+Tab.)
33. Toolbar (Includes text with the buttons)
34. Tool Tip
35. Tree View (For lists that are divided into categories. Categories can be opened or closed with the Left/right Arrow keys, and Categories and options
within the view can be scrolled through with up/down arrow keys.)
36. Up-Down Scroll Bar (Like "Left-Right Scroll Bar", this is also For controls that can be increased or decreased by pressing the value change keys. However, unlike left-right scroll bar, the Home key takes you to the smallest value, and the End key takes you to the largest value.)
37. Up-Down Slider (Like "Left-Right Slider", this is also For controls that can be increased or decreased by pressing the value change keys. However, unlike left-right slider, the Home key takes you to the smallest value, and the End key takes you to the largest value.)

EastWest/Soundsonline is powered by NetSuite — One System. No Limits.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.