Re: Installing Jaws on a Windows 10 mini PC.

Brent Harding

I think one should be able to use it as long as it didn't run that S version of Win 10, but I thought the article portraying that version suggested that there was a free upgrade to full Win 10 for assistive tech users. Whether or not these stick PC's or other miniature ones have enough memory or processor speed to handle JFW comfortably with whatever else you want to do with it might be an issue depending on the specific one you get, but the idea sounds interesting.

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: Installing Jaws on a Windows 10 mini PC.

Beware of Adam CPU's win 10 is dropping support for them... the next release 1709 in fact
On 8/3/2017 1:02 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
These mini PC's are actually called "stick" PC's", they are like a larger USB stick and Intel as well as Asus and some other manufacturers make them.
The Asus is the "Asus Vivostick", https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Stick-PCs/VivoStick-PC-TS10/
The Intel ones are called "ComputeStick", there is also one called "Kangaroo".
They are low-powered PC's which plug into an HDMI port, they also need power via an adapter and usually have a couple of USB ports so you could plug a dongle for Logitech or other keyboard in. They also have WiFi and I think some may have an ethernet port and they usually run Windows 10 Home.
Jaws can be installed on them as they are just a PC running Windows 10 Home, I believe they are usually 32 Gb or 64 Gv in terms on on-board storage and you can connect a USB hard drive to one of the other uSB ports for everything else.
If you Google "stick PC" you'll find a bunch of results with reviews, links to the Intel ComputeStick models etc.
You can also find these with Android, Linex or ChromeOS and Intel does make a much more expensive one with an Intel M processor, more powerful, but also almost $500.

Here is one article which mentions a few:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-stick-pcs/

Best regards,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shane clark
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:06 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Installing Jaws on a Windows 10 mini PC.

Hello everyone,

So a friend of mine and I were talking a little earlier this morning, about Kodi. And I told him that I use it primarily on my Windows 10 laptop, as their screen reader does not work on other platforms. He then told me, of a Mini PC that Windows makes, that you could hook up to your TV, and install Kodi on it. So I was wondering is there a possible way to be able to install Jaws on there as well? The Mini PC that I'm talking about, I guess would be similar to an Android set-top box, that you plug into your TV, and you can watch TV through Kodi or I guess any other app that it may offer.

Freedom Scientific told me, and she was just making an educated guess here, that she didn't think that it would be possible to install Jaws, so I'm not really sure. What do you guys say?

Thanks for any and all input, Shane.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.