Re: Jaws & desktop issues

Ben Humphreys <brhbrh@...>

Hi Laura,

it seems Win+D and Win+M are not exactly the same thing.

Win+D specifically shows the desktop but JAWS doesn't speak "Desktop" as it should

Win+M minimizes everything it can then JAWS speaks "Desktop"

You can definitively verify for yourself where Win+anything takes you using JAWS+q
This will announce the currently running program.

So, Win+D then JAWS+Q says shcore.dll
And Win+M then JAWS+Q says shell32.dll

So JAWS knows shell32 is desktop. But it doesn't know shcore.dll is also desktop.

Perhaps this "bug" was introduced in Windows 10 when Microsoft renamed shlwapi.dll to shcore.dll. We can see that Freedom at one time had the former speaking "Desktop" but has not updated it for the latter (see script file "Windows OS.jss")

So Win+M is going to give you the consistent results you're after until VFO fixes.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Ben

At 04:06 PM 7/31/2017, you wrote:
I understand that but it doesn’t seem normal for Jaws to randomly give me variations of what it says when I go to the desktop …… I’m just trying to find out why this is happening, as well as why every time I press insert + t Jaws says “documents” instead of “desktop”.

Laura

Laura