Re: A history of Jaws and Windows, was: training modules

Dave Durber

Hello Sieghard:

My serieal number is a few numbers later than yours.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 11:38 PM
Subject: A history of Jaws and Windows, was: training modules

I probably have most of you beat, my Jaws serial number is 1056. I first bought Jaws for DOS in 1989, I think it was version 1.1, when Windows 3.1 came out in 19992 I used it alongside DOS.

Jaws for Windows was actually first released in January 1995, it was JFW 1.0 with support for Windows 3.1/3.11 and Windows for Workgroups 3.1.

JFW 2.0 was released in 1996, not sure when, it had support for Windows 95 which was released in August of 1995. Back in those days there usually was not support for a new OS version at the time of release.

I am looking some of this up in a Wikipedia article, for some reason they skip JFW 3.0.

In between, in 1998, 1999 and 2000 we of course had the release of Windows 98, 98SE and Millennium.

Windows XP was first released on August 24, 2001

JFW 4.0 which came out in September 2001 and I am pretty sure it support Windows XP.

JFW 4.5 came out in August of 2002 and it was the first version which had quick nav keys for IE.

JFW 5.0 was October 2003 and then there was a longer gap as JFW 6.0 didn't come out until March 2005, it introduced the ILM licensing scheme.

JFW 7 was released later that same year (2005) and 7.1 is listed with a release date of June 2006.

Windows Vista was released in November of 2006 and I'm pretty sure JFW 8 which was released in November of 2006 had support for it as well as introducing Realspeak Solo voices. From here on it seems to go to the annual release schedule in late October/early November.

Other milestones:

Jaws Tandem was released with Jaws 10 in November 2008

Windows 7 was released in July of 2009 and JFW 11 came out in the fall with support for Windows 7 and it introduced Research It

In 2010 JFW 12 replaced the old configuration manager with the Settings Centre

Jaws 13 in 2011 introduced one of my favourite features, Convenient OCR.

JFW 14 in 2012 came with Windows 8 support and Flexible Web

JFW 15 in 2013 had Windows 8 touch screen support and introduced FS Reader 3.0

JFW 16 in 2014 introduced command search in Settings Centre and Convenient OCR which in V13 only applied to graphics on the screen was expanded to handle entire PDF documents

Windows 10 first was released on July 29, 2015 and an update to Jaws 16 from the previous fall had initial support for it.

JFW 17 in 2015 introduced smart navigation for tables and Liblouis, an open source braille translator

Finally JFW 18 in 2016 (last fall) introduced mouse echo, audio ducking and Settings import/export was reintroduced.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAWS_(screen_reader)

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 2:52 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: training modules

I had an early demo version that was something like 0.76 with a serial in the 3000s.

I should have stock in the company since I have owned every version since DOS, either purchased or through paying for skipped updates.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ronnie Hill
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 4:32 PM

Well I can't remember which year I did stgarted with JAWS Version of 3.3!

I guess it was around 1998

I thought that the first JAWS version was  started from 3.2 it amazing to know it started from version 3 but I'm not sure.

Cheers everyone.

Ronnie from London.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 8:37 PM

Hard to believe I started on JAWS 3.1 isn’t it!

Have a great day!

Bob Hicks

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 3:24 PM

If you open the FS reader, you should be able to access tutorials from there by pressing control+J.  There are links to tutorials.  If they are not already downloaded and placed in the appropriate place, the program will do this for you.  These are in Daisy format and you can use control+P to toggle play and pause. 

This is a global key command, so as long as the reader is open, it takes presidence over other programs using that key command.  This makes it very handy if you want to practice what you are reading in an open program.  This information should be enough to get you started. 

Carol

On 6/8/2017 2:46 PM, Bob Hicks wrote:

I downloaded my version of Jaws 18.  How do I git the training modules into FS reader?  tia

Have a great day!

Bob Hicks

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.