Re: Problem deleting files

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Laura. When you find the Recycle Bin on the desktop, don’t open it. Just press ALT plus ENTER. If you open the recycle bin first, you will be trying to change the properties of the files in the Recycle Bin.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 12:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Problem deleting files

Bill,

I went to the recycle bin, pressed alt + enter, and Jaws said I was on the general page.  The next step you give is to tab to the setting but when I tab there are only three choices; restore, okay, and cancel.  I pressed escape and closed the recycle bin …… Not sure why this is and what I need to do to get to that particular setting.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: Problem deleting files

Hi, Laura. Part of your problem is because something is not set correctly for the Recycle properties.

1. Find your Recycle Bin.

2. Press ALT plus ENTER to get into the properties of the Recycle Bin.

3. If you are in the General properties, which is what usually comes up first, tab until you see the following setting:

Display delete confirmation dialog

4. Make sure this is checked with the SpaceBar.

5. Tab to Apply and Press Enter.

6. Tab to OK and press ENTER again.

That should get back the “Are you sure?” dialog you should get when deleting a file.

The other problem is that JAWS is losing focus when you are trying to delete the file, and you are on a “Cancel button. This could be for a download in progress, or a Cancel button for the deletion itself.

Bill White

Billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 10:36 AM
Subject: Problem deleting files

Hello,

Using a Dell laptop with Windows 10, Jaws 18, MS Word 2016 …… What I describe below has been happening since I got this computer less than two months ago.

Two different things are happening when I want to delete a file:

1.  Sometimes when I press delete to get rid of a file Jaws says nothing and I have to press alt + tab to get back to the documents and that file is gone …… Jaws does not ask me if I’m sure I want to delete this file.

2.  Sometimes when I press delete Jaws says “this will cancel all transfers in progress” and tells me to press the space bar …… Whether I press the space bar or not Jaws repeatedly tells me this message …… I have to press alt + f4 several times to make this go away so I can alt tab back to the documents at which point that file has been deleted.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which scenario is going to happen when I want to delete a file.  Has anybody dealt with this before? …… Is it possibly some kind of setting that’s not set correctly? …… I just want to press delete and have Jaws ask me if I’m sure I want to delete as I’ve always done in the past.

Laura

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.