Re: Using Chat Windows with JAWS 18

john clayton

Hello Nancy,
Windows tts is probably referring to sapi5 or such, installed on windows.
TTS and narrator are different things.
Although narrator and jaws and any screenreader at all do use sinths which are tts.

What I believe is happening is they have implemented tts functionality that is have the incoming chat read by sapi5,however if the company is willing to make things accessible one suggestion would be to have the application accessible with your screenreader or at least the messages read by the screenreader.
For jaws though,it may be a little difficult to do because jaws does use a proprietary scripting language and not a programming language,so might be more eazier if you were to go with NVDA as it uses python and thereby improving chances to have the app be more accessible.
Or of course,you could try and contact FS support and see what they suggest.or have someone write scripts for jaws that could make the application usable/read messages. your organization may or may not have to pay them for writing scripts and the like.
Hth.

On 21 July 2017 at 01:10, Nancy B. Gibson <nancib@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link to that document.  I actually already have that.  I think they wrote it for us.

I'm beginning to wonder if the one who is making this hardest on me is me.  My first dumb question is that the document talks about the Windows TTS and Narrator.  Are they two different things or one in the same?

As it is now, the TTS is reading what happens in the Revation Communicator program.  JAWS is responsible for everything else -- Resource House in internet explorer, the time clock system in Firefox and Outlook 2016.  JAWS doesn't function well within the communicator so tabbing just speaks tab by JAWS and arrow keys are silent.  Several of the keyboard commands Revation implemented don't actually work as supposed to.

I know Narrator has it's own set of keyboard commands so should those be in play anywhere or not relevant because Narrator and TTS are different?

It seems to me that there are so many children on the playground -- some of who are not playing nice -- but I don't know which one)s) they are.

What would I have to do to control what JAWS reads and when?

Overwhelmed and Lost
Nancy