Strange problem with JAWS in windows 10 sign-up screen #cal-notice

denis.sariyannis@...

Hi all,
I'm facing a very strange problem with JAWS 18.0.2945 and Windows 10 (Creators update).

When I start my laptop the Windows sign-up screen appears and JAWS gets started. The first problem is that I can't navigate through the elements on the screen by pressing the Tab key. JAWS just says "Tab" with a huge delay and nothing more. Using the touch screen I can go through the things on the screen but JAWS is very slow. When I press another key on the keyboard the focus jumps into the password field which is good. I can even navigate with Tab now but every announcement from JAWS comes with a huge delay. It takes a second or two after pressing a key. So I sign up and the desktop appears. Usually JAWS works fine now but sometimes the extreme slugishness follows JAWS through all things I do.

With NVDA or Narrator these problems do not exist and it works well. So there isn't a process that slows down the whole system. The delay after pressing a key is also very static so its not a performance issue.

Even more strange: At the sign-up screen where JAWS reacts so slowly I can start Narrator. As soon as Narrator is running JAWS works well without any issue. But of course NARRATOR and JAWS are speaking simultaneously and so that isn't a solution. ;) When I turn Narrator off JAWS again acts badly like I described above.

I ran the JAWS setup again "/type repair" but it didn't help.
Do you have any idea? Is there something I could try? I want to avoid reinstalling Windows.
Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards
Denis