Re: Wireless router password & Jaws

Hi Laura,

If you changed your Facebook password then it still makes no sense how somebody would get access to your Facebook account by hacking into your router.

Have you managed to change your router’s password?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Wireless router password & Jaws

Sometimes Facebook can be a “problem child” but that does not apply in this case …… Through various means I have been able to verify and confirm beyond any doubt my router was hacked into which is how the access to FB occurred …… And there was nobody parked outside my place in a van or otherwise (LOL).

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:39 PM

So is the likelyhood someone's snooping on your wifi connection and can access your FB password that way. Even assuming someone accessed your wifi, your FB password is sent to them encrypted, and the kind of equipment needed to break that encryption is not sitting in the back of someone's van parked in front of your place. It's more likely Facebook's just being a problem child.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: June-22-17 2:14 PM

I deal with very confidential information with the work that I do so, yes, this is scarey.  I’ve changed my Facebook password several times because of this and it continues to happen …… I’ve created extremely strong passwords so the likelihood of someone guessing my password is highly unlikely.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 12:49 PM

Sounds a lot like someone's trying to scare you and being successful. If someone hacked your Facebook, they don't need to be on your network to do it. They only need to guess your Facebook password. Change your FB password, problem solved.

Sent: June-22-17 1:34 PM

It hasn’t been changed in almost a year but I have my own user name and password for the wireless router …… not the default.  Someone has been logging into my Facebook page using my own IP address.  I was told they are able to do this because they have hacked into my wireless router.  I was also told this individual would have the ability to see everything I do on the web; web sites I go to, links I click on, questions I Google, what time I did these things, etc.  At this point I’m thinking I will disconnect the wireless router and hardwire the internet cable straight into my laptop …… Will doing this stop that person from viewing everything I do on the web and logging into my Facebook page?

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:53 AM

I have a Netgear router at home and an Asus router at work and have no issues with either one.

Laura, I suggest you maybe try a different browser or try to turn off the virtual cursor and tab to see if you can type in the user name and password.

If this doesn’t work I would either get sighted help or call Microsoft Accessibility to see if they can help.

If you haven’t changed the default password of your router it is absolutely crutial that you do so, nowadays every router manufacturer should make this a manditory first step when somebody buys a new router and connects it. There are probably millions of routers out there where the password is “password” or whatever default the manufacturer has, it is super easy to Google that information and to find out what default password each manufacturer uses. Of course most of them very helpfully display their brand or logo on the login screen so it’s even easier for somebody to see if the password is still the default. This is one way how hackers gain access to your network, computer and potentially use your device or devices in a denial of service attack. To me it’s little different than if you bank or Apple had a default user name called “password” or Apple123” and wouldn’t require you to change it. Unfortunately most people nowadays understand the importance of a good password for websites, but many people don’t even know a router has an interface one can log into and that it’s important to do this and change the default password.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:28 AM

Laura,

You can assume that the first blank is your user id and the second your password. Then hit enter to see if a more accessible page shows up. Have you tried using JAWS Convenient OCR on the page to read the labels?

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 05:49

Unsuccessful …… I followed these steps and did fine until I got to the page to type in my user name and password.  Once I was at that page Jaws would only say “blank” when I would press the arrow keys and would say nothing when I tried to tab or press enter.  The Jaws curser was even more limiting.  Does anybody know why this would be happening? …… Using Jaws 18, Windows 10, and Internet Explorer.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dale Heltzer
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:18 PM

Open your browser (chrome or ie) and control-o to open an address.

Enter 192.168.1.1 

You’ll be prompted for user id and password.

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:08 PM

Dave,

I already have a user name and password of my own …… Someone did this for me many months ago.  I need to learn how to do this myself due to a security breach.  How do I log into the router using this address you gave me?

Laura

From: main@... [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:45 AM

Laura,

You need to log in to your router using a web browser. Usually the address is 192.1680.1. But check your documentation. If you've never set a password, then the user names is admin and password is admin. The web GUI is usually quite navigable with JAWS.

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 09:30

Subject: Wireless router password & Jaws

Hello,

Is it possible to change the password on my wireless router myself using Jaws? …… If so, could someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

Laura

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.