Re: Jaws updates

Dave...

Yep. Exactly what I said. Thanks for validating.

Dave

From: "Sieghard Weitzel" <sieghard@...>
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:44
Subject: Re: Jaws updates

Hi Dave,

I was under the impression that Remote Desktop or Citrix access was only
possible with Jaws Pro, but that is not the case. In order to clarify I just
called VFO and asked and I was told that yes, both versions have exactly the
same features and the difference at this point is strictly a licensing
issue. Basically Jaws Home is meant if you own all the equipment. I
explained to the sale guy that I am self-employed and while I sometimes use
Remote Desktop to connect to my computer at work, it still is my computer
and he seemed to think that in this case there should be no problem if I
downgraded from Jaws Pro to Jaws Home. If, however, you were to connect to a
computer or server from your own computer but the computer at the remote end
was owned by your employer then really you should have a Jaws Pro license.
I actually just renewed my Jaws Pro SMA not that long ago, here in Canada I
have to do this via a reseller/VFO Partner called Canadianlog, but next time
when it's time to renew I will most likely request to be downgraded to Jaws
Home and pay the lower price for that SMA. According to the Jaws website,
Jaws Home if you buy it new at the regular price is $900 and the SMA if you
buy it at the same time and then continue to keep it up is $120. Jaws Pro is
$200 more, $1,100 to buy and the SMA is also $200, so $80 more for the SMA.
I don't blame Jaws for doing this because a company who buys Jaws may have
more than one blind user, they may require more tech support if their IT
person who may know nothing about Jaws has to install and configure it and
so on. I'm sure if some company approached VFO with a request for 50 copies
of Jaws that VFO may give them a volume license discount, but of course that
is just speculation and I don't think one can compare the volume license
program of Microsoft for Windows or Office to that of Jaws which is a
specialty piece of software and even most very large companies won't need
5000 licenses like they may with Windows.
So, in short, if you own your own equipment and don't install Jaws on
somebody elses computers Jaws Home is just fine and Remote access in fact is
also available for Jaws Home, it is associated with an additional cost, but
since I bought it a long time ago I forgot to ask how much it would be if
you bought it now. Fact is that most regular users who have Jaws Home would
not need it. You still have Jaws Tandem access which can also be used as
long as you have somebody on the other side who can initiate the connection.

Regards,
Sieghard