Re: Modifying scripts for cell coordinates, was Excel bothers me How to customize it?

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

We are moving the line from between the endIF statements to before the

if CellReadingVerbosity() == readCellContentsAndCoordinates then

statement.

Regards

Tom Bisset

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:17 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Modifying scripts for cell coordinates, was Excel bothers me How to customize it?

Correction: if I understood, there’s no line to delete, just insert.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: Modifying scripts for cell coordinates, was Excel bothers me How to customize it?

I’ve been following this, as I haven’t done any cookbook mods to a script for a good while.  I think Tom is inserting the line “SayCell()” immediately prior to “if CellReadingVerbosity” . . ., and that makes the change.  If all else fails, try using cut-and-paste, to avoid mistyping.  Delete the original line, and paste from the clipboard.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bissett, Tom
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:02 PM

Actually Richard gives a good response. 

Regards

Tom Bisset

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shannon
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 2:47 PM

Tom,

I am so sorry to keep pestering.

I did what you said, I opened excel, insert 0 and found that section in the script.

What you wrote is exactly what it already says.

Which part do we change to reverse the information?

I have no idea at all what the  ! () && have to do with anything so I don’t know what it is that I need to change.

It mentions something about verbosity set to  readCellContentsAndCoordinates Which is the default choice  

Do we need to find the Verbosity script to change that to say readCellCoordinatesANDContents

Or is that what I need to do right here in this section you pointed out?

Thanks a lot

Shannon

Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:15 PM

Ok,  I will give this a go.

Open excel

Then open the script manager using jawsKey and zero on the number row

This will bring up the excel scripts in the script manager

Then do a search using control F searching for “Script SayCell()” with out the quotes

Here is where you can make the modification so that is reads like the following

Script SayCell()

If OnSpreadSheet()

&& !OnFormulaBar() then

SayCell()

SayActiveCellCoordinates()

Endif

EndIf

EndScript

You will see that I just moved the line Script SayCell() up 3 lines so that it is before

That is the only change needed but now you need to compile and save the file.

When you open the jaws script manager using JawsKey and zero Jaws automatically creates a copy of the excel scripts in your personal folder and this is where jaws looks for scripts first so it will pick up any new or modified scripts.

To invoke the compile and save you simply press control and the letter S.  Jaws will announce compile complete you can then use alt F4 to close the script manager. 

Your changes will take effect immediately.

If you want to back out of the changes you can go to your jaws personal folders

c:\Users\userid\AppData \Roaming \Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu

here you can delete the excel.jsb and excel.jss files and you are good to go.

Regards

Tom Bisset

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 12:44 PM
Subject: Modifying scripts for cell coordinates, was Excel bothers me How to customize it?

Tom,

To someone who is not a programmer, or doesn’t know the first thing about programming, this still is not terribly useful.

If you could give file names and specific instructions how to do this without screwing up the original scripts or how to safely back them up first, that would be very useful.

Or, maybe those of us who are completely clueless shouldn’t even monkey with this.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: Excel bothers me How to customize it?

This wasn't a new script but which script to change and how to change it.  Adding a new script by the same name at the end won't fix it because jaws will just the first one.

I should have been more descriptive and said that you needed to locate the existing script and make the modification as shown in the example. 

regards

Tom Bisset

Sent: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:39 AM

The only way I can find to change the order is by changing the script.  Below is the script

Script SayCell()

If OnSpreadSheet()

&& !OnFormulaBar() then

SayCell()

SayActiveCellCoordinates()

Endif

;  SayCell()

EndIf

EndScript

I commented out the line

SayCell()

And copied it And pasted it in the script just above the third “if” statement as shown above

Regards

Tom Bisset

Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 3:46 PM

Richard,

Thank you, Do I have to do this for every spread sheet.?

I want to hear the coordenants before the contents not after. I want to hear A2, meadows plaza not Meadows plaza A2

I looked around and found the spot to turn off the coordinates but not how to reverse the order of what is spoken. Is this one of the advanced settings of the verbosity settings?

Thanks again

Shannon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 2:30 PM

I can help you with the column headers, but I’m not sure why my coordinates speak after the data.

To set the column headers to read the way you want do the following:

One, Go to a1 and tap the alt key to bring up the upper ribbon and arrow to the formulas tab.

2.  down arrow to the lower ribbon and right arrow to the Define Names tab.

3.  Hit enter.

4.  Hit alt+n to create a new name.

5.  Write the word “title” without the quotes and hit enter.

6.  tab to the close button and hit spacebar.

Now, when you arrow down a column, it will speak the contents of the cell, but if you right arrow or tab, you will hear the column title.  As you down arrow, you will also hear the row title.

I hope that helps,

Richard

Sent: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 12:05 PM
Subject: Excel bothers me How to customize it?

Hi all,

I use spread sheets every single day.

I have opened an excel sheet and when I am arrowing through it I am hearing things that are just…. Yucky!

1                     there is this annoying voice that speaks the cell coordinates.

I have futzed around with the voices so what I don’t know is which one of the voices is doing this.  It is the same one that says the status of a message in Outlook un-read, forwarded and replied.  And gives the erroneous indexes of the messages. (for some reason it always gives x of 44.)

2                     I don’t like hearing the contents and then the cell coordinates after.

I want to reverse the order. How can I do that?

3      How to make the entire first row  column headers and have it only report when I change columns? I don’t want to hear it when I stay in the same column.

Thanks

Shannon

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.