Re: Can't close programs or shut down computer/Help please?

paul lemm

Hi,

For shutting down your PC if you hold down  the windows key on your  keyboard  and press x this brings up the windows quick access  menu , stop holding down the windows key and then press u and then press u again  (which is the shortcut to access the shutdown menu and then to shut down) and your PC will then shut down. Hope this helps

Kind regards

are the shortcut keys to shut down your PC are

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: 06 June 2017 06:04
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Can't close programs or shut down computer/Help please?

I pressed control plus shift plus escape which took me to the task manager.  I arrowed down to Outlook but it said 32 bit and I have a 64 bit.  I went ahead and tabbed to end task and was able to close Outlook.  I came back to Outlook and still cannot use alt plus f4 to close Outlook.  Hopefully I can go through this process again and close Outlook and hopefully shut down my computer.  I guess maybe I’ll have to check with the Microsoft disability people you suggested.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 11:50 PM

Hi, Richard. CONTROL plus ALT plus T does not give me the Task Manager. I must use CONTROL plus SHIFT plus ESCAPE.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 9:48 PM

Try, control+alt+t

Then, in the list of open processes, arrow down until you find Outlook, then you can either tab to End Task or hit Alt+e.  You may be asked to confirm that you want to end the task.

HTH,

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 9:23 PM

Can you give me a step by step on how to do this?

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 11:22 PM

It sounds like your Outlook process may be stuck and you need to use task manager to end the process.

Richard

Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 8:57 PM

I’m able to close Word and other programs with alt plus F4 but I can’t close Outlook where my emails are.  I did go to Outlook and try your suggestion but that did not work.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 10:51 PM

Hi, Laura. Try using ALT plus the Space Bar. Then Arrow up to close, and press ENTER. This should allow you to get out of Word, and back to where your keys work as usual.

Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 8:33 PM
Subject: Can't close programs or shut down computer/Help please?

Hello,

Using Windows 10, MS Word 2016 and Jaws 18 …… Pressing alt plus f4 will not allow me to close Outlook and will not allow me to shut down the computer.  Can anybody help?

Laura

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.