Re: Automatic numbering MS Word 2016

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Laura,

This is one of those things where unless you have done it you can look for a long time to find it. A quick Google search gave me the following instructions, I put a link to the article at the end:

Word 2016, 2013 & 2010

Select the “File” menu and “Options“, key shortcut is Alt+F followed by "T"

Select the “Proofing” tab on the left pane (it is the third one down).

Select “AutoCorrect Options…“ (it is the first button when pressing tab or you can do Alt+A).

Select the “AutoFormat As You Type” tab (easiest if you use the "Control+Tab command to get to that tab/page)

Uncheck the “Automatic bulleted lists” and “Automatic numbered lists” options. Click “OK“.

Click "OK" again in the main Options window.

Word 2007

From the “Office Button” menu, select “Word Options“.

Click “Proofing“.

Click “AutoCorrect Options“, and then click the “AutoFormat As You Type” tab.

Under “Apply as you type“, deselect “Automatic bulleted lists” and “Automatic numbered lists“.

Click “OK” and you’re done.

Here is the link of the article I got this from:

https://www.technipages.com/word-disable-automatic-numbering-and-bulleting

If you want to do the same in Outlook, also use Alt+F followed by "T" to get to Options. Now go to the "Mail" tab on the left, then use Alt+S and spacebar to go to and activate the "Spelling and Auto Correct" button, then Alt+A for "Auto Correct options".

From here on it's the same as above, use Control+Tab to go to the "AutoFormat As You Type” tab/page, tab down to the automatic bulleting and numbering checkbopxes, uncheck them, tab to OK and activate, then "OK" again and you are done.

Regards,

Sieghard