locked Re: Please change the subject line! Do not have liquids when listening to this

Tim Ford

Hi James,

I will contact you in the future.  In the past, when I did my occasional subject line changes, I often got a thank you note from the administrator.  Frankly I think the guidelines need to be tightened, although all I am asking for should be considered as nothing more than simple respect for other people’s time and effort.  I have been a list moderator, and would not do so again, because of getting notes from grumpy people like me!  Frankly though, I think this is such a large membership list that we need as a community to ask those very few individuals to simply follow the basic rules I learned in my office email class.  They said to make the subject line descriptive so the recipient could decide whether they needed to read it.  They also said to explain up at the very beginning enough so that the reader could then decide to break off and move on. 

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:11 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Please change the subject line! Do not have liquids when listening to this

While this is a discussion list, I have had to close one or two threads down for getting too far off the rails in recent days. So long as we're mindful of the topic of the list, I see no problem with the thread's continuation. While the subject line could stand to be a bit more informative, there is no list policy requiring it. As such, unless it begins to cause problems, I will not mandate a change.

In future, I would strongly advise issues regarding list administration be brought to me directly. If an administrative decision needs to be made, I will make that decision. If you would like to have a part in making that decision, I have been known to accept interested parties as list moderators - provided those interested parties are not solely interested in simply making that decision. If administrative issues continue to be brought to the list at large, you will be in violation of list policies and handled accordingly.

James,

List Admin

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: May-23-17 7:26 PM
Subject: Please change the subject line! Do not have liquids when listening to this

Hi Folks,

My gosh, a I know I am sounding grumpy, but I am.  A significant number of discussion threads on this list recently have either meaningless, as with this one, or subject lines that were originally correct, but the thread has gone far away from that subject.  Many of us just cannot keep up on a list like this without being able to use the subject line to decide if it is a note we want to read.  All of us should make it our responsibility to edit a subject line when we add to a thread if it is appropriate to change.

Also, please do not even initiate a thread with a subject line like this one “Do not have liquids when listening to this

Thanks,

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: Do not have liquids when listening to this

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:30 pm, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:

God forbid we enjoy ourselves while working on a spreadsheet.

If you can enjoy yourself "while working on a spreadsheet" with any inducement then you're a better person than I am!  Excel (and it's analogs) are the very definition of weary work
--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.