An Alternative to Pitch Change to Indicate Capitalization

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

Sometimes when I’m distracted (I like to think of that as multitasking), I don’t always catch a pitch change to indicate a capital letter.  Often, that’s just fine.

In a complex agreement with 25 or 30 precisely defined terms, terms that, when used in the specifically defined sense, are capitalized, close enough won’t work.

Whether a term is or is not capitalized can be crucial, and an error can cost a client thousands of dollars.

For those on the list new to JAWS who similarly MUST be certain when a word is capitalized (or in bold or italics), therefore, it might be helpful to know that JAWS has a wonderful proofreading tool called “Sound Scheme.”

These “Schemes” may be reached with JawsKey + Alt + S.  An array of previously defined schemes are available, and you can modify or add your own.  There are two proofreading schemes that I use frequently and they are named fittingly, “Proof Reading.” .

Instead of changing pitch, they say “Cap.”  Pitch changes are used to indicate bold, italics, underlining and so on.

Window-Eyes allowed one fairly easily to change capitalization indication in settings, something that is a challenge in Jaws, but I don’t think Window-Eyes had the equivalent of these sound schemes (though my Window-Eyes knowledge is about 7 years old), which can be invoked with just about 3 keystrokes.

Happy proofing. <SMILE>