An Alternative to Pitch Change to Indicate Capitalization

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

Sometimes when I’m distracted (I like to think of that as multitasking), I don’t always catch a pitch change to indicate a capital letter.  Often, that’s just fine.

In a complex agreement with 25 or 30 precisely defined terms, terms that, when used in the specifically defined sense, are capitalized, close enough won’t work.

Whether a term is or is not capitalized can be crucial, and an error can cost a client thousands of dollars.

For those on the list new to JAWS who similarly MUST be certain when a word is capitalized (or in bold or italics), therefore, it might be helpful to know that JAWS has a wonderful proofreading tool called “Sound Scheme.”

These “Schemes” may be reached with JawsKey + Alt + S.  An array of previously defined schemes are available, and you can modify or add your own.  There are two proofreading schemes that I use frequently and they are named fittingly, “Proof Reading.” .

Instead of changing pitch, they say “Cap.”  Pitch changes are used to indicate bold, italics, underlining and so on.

Window-Eyes allowed one fairly easily to change capitalization indication in settings, something that is a challenge in Jaws, but I don’t think Window-Eyes had the equivalent of these sound schemes (though my Window-Eyes knowledge is about 7 years old), which can be invoked with just about 3 keystrokes.

Happy proofing. <SMILE>

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:13 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: voices and pitch

Believe me, I did not figure this out on my own, grin.  I had lots of helpful information from others on the group.  Just trying to pay it forward a little, grin.

I like Samantha compact with my own pitch level.  She reminds me of my iPod now.

Carol

On 5/23/2017 8:59 AM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:

Carol, guess you just contradicted what I said  in another post, and thank you.  I use vocalizer now and again, and will bare that in mind.

ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 8:26 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Thanks Mike,

With the instructions you provided plus the clarification from Sieghard, excuse me if I didn't spell it correctly, I was able to make the pitch changes.  Yes, you can change pitch for other synthes, too.  I am using the Vocalizer compact voices and they work quite well with the pitch changes. 

Thanks again, and take care.

Carol

On 5/22/2017 6:25 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Carol,

The steps I provided are for Eloquence.  I don't use any other voices, so I'm sorry I didn't mention that.  Now with that being said, if you follow the steps, & when you tab to, Voice Adjust / All Contexts, arrow down to, PC, Jaws, Keyboard, or Tutor & Message cursor options, tab through each of these, & you will find the Voice Pitch Slider.  If you make a change in 1 of these cursors, tab to Apply, & spacebar it to save the change for that cursor.  After you make changes to each cursor Apply them, & when you are working with the last cursor after applying your change, now tab to Okay & press enter to save all your changes & close.

Take care, Mike.
Sennt from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 3:01 PM

Hi Mike,

OK, this time, I have already gone through all of those steps.  The only pitch change option I can find is for capital letters.  I want to actually adjust the speaking pitch of the selected voice.  I did look through the settings and there is no pitch change for any of the ones I selected.  I have NeoSpeech, Vocalizer, Vocalizer HQ, Eloquence and sapi5.  If I am missing something, I don't know where it is because I did exactly what you suggested.  Thanks for trying, and if you have any other ideas, I will be glad to try them, too.

Carol

On 5/22/2017 5:51 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Carol,

Try the following:

1. Press, Insert / Jaws key + J, to open the Jaws context menu.

2. Press the letter, O, to open Options.

3. Press the letter, V, to open Voices, or arrow down to it & press enter.           

4. Press enter on, Voice Adjustment, & tab down to, Voice Adjust.  Here you can make the pitch change amongst many other setting adjustments.  Make sure to Apply & Okay your changes.

Take care, Mike.
Sennt from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 2:27 PM

Subject: voices and pitch

Hi,

Although I am getting used to playing around with voices and their
settings, I have not been able to change the pitch for any of them.  Is
this possible?  For example, the Reid voice would be reasonable except
it is a bit too bassy.  On the other hand, Glenn sounds better, but this
voice is too high to suite me.  Is there a way I can change the
settings?  Also, does pitch work for other synthes?  Thanks.

Carol

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.