Re: New member with a question about JAWS and Kindle

Jim Fettgather

When you download, install, and use Kindle for PC, along with Jaws 18,
and open your Kindle library, you may use all of the Jaws navigational
commands with which you are familiar.
Control Down Arrow, for example, will read by paragraph.
You may read by letter, word, line. and so on.

You do not need to use any of the pre-installed Kindle for PC voices
that were originally used in the first instance of the supposedly
Kindle for Pc.
You may use which ever Jaws voice you wish.

The only thing that does not work, which is kind of a mystery, is that
you cannot select line by line with Shift down Arrow.
Jaws indicates that this function is not available.
However, with another competitive and free screen reader, this
function of selecting text works flawlessly.

So, I highly recommend using Kindle for PC and Jaws 18 for reading any
books in your Kindle library.

On 5/22/17, Carol Smith via Groups.Io <carollablady=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

From what I have seen, text is, of course, not visible. The reading
keys work for listening to the book with the Kindle voices. Much of the
menu information is visible, but I do not see where to put your
information in if you plan to register online. Also, if you click on the
button one tab after the register button and you have already registered
before, that button is now a deregister button, although it does not say
that. Please note, I am not using the most current version of Kindle
because it does not suit my needs.

Carol

On 5/21/2017 9:55 AM, Shirley Tracy wrote:
Hello all,

My name is Shirley Tracy. I’m new on this list, and I’ve been a JAWS user
for close to 20 years, but I’m admittedly self taught and definitely not
very technical. I hope to learn a lot from you guys, and I will try to
participate when I can.

As the subject line states, I’d like to know if any of you are able to use
JAWS with Kindle. A few years back, I tried but couldn’t. Has anything
changed? If so, any pointers?

Thank you for letting me be a part of this group.

Cheerfully,
Shirley