Re: cursors in jaws

Soronel Haetir

In recent versions of jaws there is also the touch cursor (I believe
this to be a poor name, something better would have been "object
cursor"). The touch cursor allows navigating between screen elements
in a hierarchical manner as the program organizes them, and has two
modes normal and advanced. The advanced mode allows for navigating
through elements that cannot themselves gain focus (or necessarily
even appear as distinct items - invisible frames for example).

The benefit of this cursor mode over the jaws cursor is that you can
reach elements that the jaws cursor does not show. It It takes some
work on the part of program developers but if programs are written in
an accessible manner the touch cursor takes care of this issue. And
it is becoming more of an issue as time goes by because the jaws
cursor can not see screen elements drawn using the newer DirectX
rendering path only those drawn with the older GDI technology.

To activate the touch cursor use shoft+numpad+ (numpad + twice quickly
to disable). I pretty much only use the advanced mode (toggled with
the numpad* key). In that mode you use the left and right arrow keys
to move between elements at the current level and the up and down
arrows to move up and down the object tree. Space will trigger the
default action on the current element.

I am sure there are other things you can do while in the touch cursor
mode but those are the only ones I use.

On 5/22/17, Mike B. <mb69mach1@charter.net> wrote:
Hi Don,

About JAWS Cursors, below all 4 of them are explained.
Navigating through Windows with JAWS is accomplished with cursors. These
cursors determine the focus of JAWS speech and are often directly linked
with Windows cursors.

The PC Cursor - Follows Keystrokes
This cursor is linked to the keyboard functions of Windows and
applications.
This is the cursor that is used when typing information, moving through
options in dialog boxes, and selecting options or icons. As you type
information, the PC Cursor follows along with each key you press. If you
are
making a selection in a menu or dialog box, the PC Cursor highlights the
currently selected object. The PC Cursor is activated by default when JAWS
starts. If you are using a different cursor, pressing NUM PAD PLUS returns
you to the PC Cursor.

The JAWS Cursor - Follows Mouse Pointer
The JAWS Cursor is linked to mouse pointer functions in Windows and other
applications. It is used to read information the PC Cursor cannot read,
such
as toolbar information. The mouse follows along with the JAWS Cursor when
it
is moved, and you therefore have access to information in an application
window that is beyond the scope of the PC Cursor. To activate the JAWS
Cursor, press NUM PAD MINUS.

The Virtual PC Cursor - HTML Environment
The virtual PC Cursor mimics the functions of the PC Cursor, but is
activated by default when entering an HTML document. The virtual PC Cursor
speaks the number of frames in a document, and the number of links in the
frame. You can switch between frames, and JAWS reads graphics labeled by
alt
tags in the HTML code.

Invisible Cursor

The JAWS cursor is basically the mouse cursor that is visible on screen.
The invisible cursor can be moved around just like the JAWS cursor to view
information. It works like the mouse cursor but can not be seen on screen
or effect objects. Therefore you can not use the NumPad / (left mouse
click) or NumPad * (right mouse click) on an object. It is useful to read
information without disturbing the mouse cursor. It is also useful to
determine colors or whatever might change when the mouse is over an object.
It will not cause ToolTips to pop up.

Take care, Mike.
Sennt from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!